turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

After its over

Started by Spitten and drummen, May 10, 2014, 09:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

When turkey season ends and things get back to somewhat normal, what do you hard core turkey hunters do to fill in all those months until the season rolls back around. Its only been over two weeks here and im already looking forward to opening day again. I just keep fishing and break out my bow getting ready for october 1st.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

budtripp

I go through a period of withdrawal that usually lasts until the end of May. During this time I am grouchy, melancholy, borderline depressed and not much fun to be around. Then I get my bow out, put out some mineral blocks and hang trail cameras over them, and start preparing for the fall.

Gooserbat

I'm usually working to catch up at the job and busy with a few neglected honey do's. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WillH

I try to focus on the upcoming deer season. For me that means making bows and knapping arrowheads. Planting food plots and running trail cams over mineral. It's all part of the cycle :) gotta love it!!

Tail Feathers

I'll get some fishing in before it gets too hot and then start some early prep for deer season.
Mostly during the summer I'll hunker down indoors and catch up on reading during the hot hours.
I'll spend some evenings out in the shop trying to solve the mysteries of woodworking.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

dirtnap

Work.  Because I don't do any when turkey season is in.

captin_hook

Trap shooting, sporting clays, soccer, cutting grass.....etc always something to keep me busy

Bigspurs68

I too suffer from withdrawal and depression after it's over. When I get my head screwed back on straight I work on food plots and get things ready for fall. Got traps to clean up, mineral sites to freshen up, cameras to check and firewood to cut. I just try to occupy my brain until the birds take it from me again next spring. I have 2 weeks left to hunt and it's going by too fast!
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

DirtNap647

bass fishin then bow season

Drthorn

I'm a teacher so when season goes out, the school year is almost over..then it's 2 full months of golf, weights, family vacations, home improvement projects, prepping for Fall deer hunting, etc.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 10, 2014, 10:23:07 AM
I'm usually working to catch up at the job and busy with a few neglected honey do's.

X2

sasquatch1

Get the dive gear out and start spearfishing and spend my off time offshore until teal season opens, then after that deer opens.

J Lacey

I think Im glad it's over although we have a few more days in GA Im done. No withdrawls here.  Been a great season taking birds across three states this spring but Im worn out. Birds around home are worn out as well. Walking a logging road this morning trying to locate a gobbler with my box call I had one run up into the road about 90 yards in front of me and I was busted.  Hard to do much with 'em at this stage. I know a lot of us think we'd like to make a living doing this but to be honest if you go at it like we have this season it's very exhausting. Looking forward to a much needed break and sleeping 'til 8:00 on Saturdays rather than 4:30 !  I'll build Box calls all summer to get ready for the convention and sling a bunch of arrows, work on some plots and hang a few stands

Jeffro
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

tomstopper

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 10, 2014, 10:23:07 AM
^^^Especially the honey do's. My wife is pretty understanding about turkey hunting but afterwards my chores had best be getting done....lol

Spring_Woods

Define "normal"
With the baby now, we forget what that is!!! :D
"Was that a gobble?":gobble: