turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 with Matthews Harmonic Dampner Recoil Reduction System

Started by allaboutshooting, May 09, 2014, 10:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

I have completed my evaluation of the new Mossberg 835 with the Matthews Harmonic Dampner Recoil Reduction System. I will publish it tomorrow on allaboutshooting.com and will post a link to it here.

I will make this a 2 part article and discuss my findings with different chokes and shells later but wanted to let you know specifically what I found out about the Matthews System.

I appreciate your interest in this project and apologize for the time it has taken to get it completed.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ericjames

allaboutshooting

Here's a link to my article evaluating the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag with the Matthews Harmonic Dampner Recoil Reduction System.

I hope you find it interesting and helpful.

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=663

Thanks,
Clark

RemingtonRules

Thanks for sharing.  In my small mind recoil and vibration are two different animals.  The Harmonic Dampner works for vibration but I do not see that it can help with recoil.  I think the difference is the better recoil pad that you note.   :z-twocents: from  someone who has never shot a Mossberg.

ericjames

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RemingtonRules on May 10, 2014, 10:14:30 AM
Thanks for sharing.  In my small mind recoil and vibration are two different animals.  The Harmonic Dampner works for vibration but I do not see that it can help with recoil.  I think the difference is the better recoil pad that you note.   :z-twocents: from  someone who has never shot a Mossberg.

If you look at the picture of the stock at the top of the article, you can see those "spokes" in the bell shaped portion of the dampner. Reportedly, the rearward motion of the recoil is absorbed by that device and dampened by it.

I spent a number of years studying harmonics in shotgun barrels and was impressed with what can happen when they are dampened.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

lowoctane

Clark-Great read sir! Very nice to see Mossberg addressing that noise issue as well.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

chatterbox

Great read as always, Clark!
Thank you for sharing your testing with us! :icon_thumright:

RAY

Thanks for posting Clark. I remember Browning putting a muzzle break called the B.O.S.S. on their rifles for harmonic dampening. Glad to see Mossberg not afraid to think outside the box.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Great job Clark.  Sounds like this new dampening system will be a big hit. 

allaboutshooting

Thank you all for the kind words. It's been a very interesting project and it's always good to see a product introduced that actually works as advertised or maybe a little better.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 11, 2014, 07:40:41 PM
How's your shoulder?  :z-guntootsmiley:

So far, so good. I don't like 3.5" shells through any gun and shoot a minimum of them, just enough in each gun/choke to get a representative sample.

Still target shooting over the years has however taken a toll on my body. It's really the torque to the spine that causes me problems. I don't shoot the huge numbers of shells at one time like I did 15 years ago.

Thanks,
Clark