OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your opinion wanted

Started by srmturk, May 09, 2014, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srmturk

So Tom Kelly says if he only had 10 days to hunt out of a 50 day season he'd take the last ten every time.  He says that after he does his analysis of when hens lay their eggs and concludes that the last 10 days of the season the gobblers are essentially alone all day as the hens are on the nest pretty much all day.  My question is...do you agree with that?  Seems that most of us find the end of the season more difficult given it's much more quiet etc.  But I'm curious if you agree with his analysis.

jblackburn

I probably would agree.  I don't know if I've killed more birds in late season, but I guarantee my best birds have been late season.  The action may not be as predictable, but if you find a late season tom that wants some action, he can be a very killable turkey.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

eddie234

My best kills have been in weeks 3 and 4. Out of our four weeks season.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Bigspurs68

I love the season from beginning to end but I always look foreward to the last couple weeks. I always save a tag for that one old stubborn bird. The kind I love to hunt. It takes a season to find a bird like that. So..yea, I agree. Old birds, less pressure, tougher but rewarding. I'll also add that those late season birds seem more settled in to a area. You can count on him to be in "his" place.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

tomstopper

He is probably right. Except for the first couple of days I might disagree b/c we scout so much before season, but after that he might be spot on about the last couple weeks of the season...

CoachHunter

Both birds I killed this year were later in the season. Gobblers were usually alone or with other gobblers and not henned up. Not an expert by any means but it sure was better for me.

Spring_Woods

I don't know if it's quieter towards the end of the season or we just can't hear as far.
I agree. The last couple weeks has been lousy hunting I'm these parts with little to no gobbling, and only mildly improving. I look for the last week to be phenomenal.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

srmturk

Thanks for that.  Interesting. I struggled end of year last year trying to get my second one. I suspect lack of patience did me in. His comments and all of yours has gotten me focused and motivated for the end of the month

TxLongspur

I can't pick a favorite time ...... I just can't get enough .

Old Gobbler

That's most likely his assessment of turkey hunting in his particular area , I think southern Alabama , might be true for many other places and I see the reasoning behind it as being valid

I'm in Florida and I'll take the first 10 days every single time
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Houndstooth Game Calls

Last two weeks in bama are always good hunting, its better always when the hens are nesting hard.. 

Jbird22

I still prefer the first few weeks here in South MS but over the past two seasons I've learned to really like the last few weeks.

paboxcall

Late season heat and humidity can really suck the motivation out of me sometimes.  Then add the bugs and a quiet morning...I start thinking about being on the golf course more than the task at hand.

But the last week or two can be pretty awesome.  Some mornings they can light up on the roost branch and run right in.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

captpete

Around here it seem the later in the season, the more you have to deal with people.....mushroom hunters mostly. I have had quite a few hunts ruined by 'shroomers  during our 4th season.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: srmturk on May 09, 2014, 08:00:51 PM
So Tom Kelly says if he only had 10 days to hunt out of a 50 day season he'd take the last ten every time.  He says that after he does his analysis of when hens lay their eggs and concludes that the last 10 days of the season the gobblers are essentially alone all day as the hens are on the nest pretty much all day.  My question is...do you agree with that?  Seems that most of us find the end of the season more difficult given it's much more quiet etc.  But I'm curious if you agree with his analysis.

Tom Kelly the "poet laureate" says a lot just to make scratch on a paper....I don't agree.

I don't think my buddy in Alabama even heard a gobble the last two weeks of the Alabama season.