OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I'm no match for real hens!

Started by Mike Honcho, May 08, 2014, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Well trying to fill my second tag in Kansas this morning and set up on good ground (private) with gobblers just south of me within a 1/4 mile (also private ground I don't hunt  but no one hunting it today).  Worked two gobblers with three hens for 1 1/2 hours before I finally had to give it up and go to work. Brought them to within 100 yards from about 250 yds where I first saw them.  Gobbled a lot on the roost and some after flydown.   Stayed within 10 yards of their hens the whole time...thought I had two of the hens headed my way but they finally diverted into a waterway and headed away from me...giving me a chance to exit without being busted. 

Another great morning in the country!

Jbird22

Don't feel bad..NONE of us can compete with the real thing unless they decide to compete with us!

I have an affectionate name for greedy hens like that...it rhymes with s'mores!  ;D

THattaway

Sometimes the bug, sometimes the windshield. Those hens will leave the toms eventually and when they do things will work out just fine. Sounds like a great hunt.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Mike Honcho

Yep, just trying to sneak in a quick morning hunt before I headed to work.  Didn't have time to wait it out like a weekend hunt. 

DirtNap647

surehuntsalot

It always seems to work out that way every time.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase