turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jakes at full strut

Started by ScottS, May 08, 2014, 11:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottS

So I have a small property I am hunting this season that historically has had numerous long beards roaming around. I have hunted the place three times this season and on every hunt I have called in a group of three jakes that all come in at full strut. You can definitely tell who is the dominant bird and who is the least dominant. I have not heard another gobble other than the jakes except for one way way off in the distance. My question is with those jakes acting like they own the place could that mean there aren't any long beards in the area?

Dtrkyman

Sure, but I would bet that they are running off the longbeards, we had a group of jakes on a farm one year constantly chasing all the toms off, there were five of them.

MEbeardlover

The evening before the season opener, I watched four jakes thrash a tom. The next morning I hunted the roost and had all four jakes come running to my jake and hen deke set. Those jakes pummeled that jake deke. The tom who was beaten the night before hung back at 60 yards.

I don't think there are many toms around and the jakes have taken over.

cphill

I had the same thing happen 2 seasons ago had 3 Jakes that took over the holler and the third time I call them in my youngest girl took ones head almost off and that ended them bullying the longbeards. I watch them jakes whip 2 different longbeards before season. Needless to say I was happy to see her drop one

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

stinkpickle

There may be longbeards around, but they will come silent...if they come in at all.

firstflight111

Quote from: ScottS on May 08, 2014, 11:50:24 AM
So I have a small property I am hunting this season that historically has had numerous long beards roaming around. I have hunted the place three times this season and on every hunt I have called in a group of three jakes that all come in at full strut. You can definitely tell who is the dominant bird and who is the least dominant. I have not heard another gobble other than the jakes except for one way way off in the distance. My question is with those jakes acting like they own the place could that mean there aren't any long beards in the area?
well most times the long beards will be quite .may only gobble once the hen will know  where he is at  .
Take a youth hunter out ,and take him out of the picture .
we have that issue a lot around here . And it's a great way to put a smile on a young hunters face  .

Sent from my C811 4G
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

turkey buster

Just remember he's a jake now and a long beard next year. Might have to move off to a new hunting location and remember them for next year

turkey harvester

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 12, 2014, 04:56:02 PM
Sure, but I would bet that they are running off the longbeards, we had a group of jakes on a farm one year constantly chasing all the toms off, there were five of them.

We had the exact same think last season. Call in a longbeard and the would start gobbling like crazy and come running in, whoop the longbeard and then just mosey off or chase him off. They ruined 3 hunts for us. My buddy finally tagged out on 2 large jakes.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

tomstopper

Quote from: turkey buster on January 22, 2015, 08:05:48 PM
Just remember he's a jake now and a long beard next year. Might have to move off to a new hunting location and remember them for next year
^^^This

mgm1955

Quote from: tomstopper on January 22, 2015, 09:03:12 PM
Quote from: turkey buster on January 22, 2015, 08:05:48 PM
^^^This
Right on!

silvestris

Hunt a quarter to a half a mile in a circle around from where the jakes have taken up residence and call softly.  While they are raising Cain, he is with the hens quietly making whoopee.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gobble!

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 12, 2014, 10:18:25 PM
There may be longbeards around, but they will come silent...if they come in at all.

Bingo.