OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

very discouraged

Started by dawgfrombama, March 17, 2011, 09:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

I have been hunting everyday since the season opened on Tues. and have not heard 1 gobble.  I had an encounter with 5 hens yesterday but not a longbeard to be seen or heard.  I guess the only good thing about this is that other hunters in my area are not hearing any gobbling much either.

guesswho

Hang tuff, better times are right around the corner.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Hognutz

Hang tough, Dawg.. Your luck will change sooner than later. When they come, they will come in bunches..Keep the faith, brother..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

I hunt central Bama and the birds are not right just yet. Give it about two weeks and they will be right. Stand strong and call softly

bowhunter84

Quote from: Basser69 on March 17, 2011, 09:47:19 AM
I hunt central Bama and the birds are not right just yet. Give it about two weeks and they will be right. Stand strong and call softly
:agreed:

LX_Trkyhntr

It's gonna be a long season if you are 2 full days in and are already "very discouraged".  At least you are getting to get out in the woods and hunt.  I am stuck here at work, just wishing I could be in the woods at sunrise! :icon_thumright:  Take each day for what it is, a gift from God, enjoy it to its fullest.  When it is your time the birds will be hammering and you will be toting one back to the truck!! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Reloader

They started late here and still weren't blowing it up last weekend, but good times should be coming.

Good Luck

mossy835

I heard that guesswho slipped in and shot them all. Half of the fun is finding them and figuring out what they are doing. Good luck.

mmusso

It's way too early to be discouraged. A few years ago, I hunted REALLY hard the first 2 weeks of the season to no avail and got all bummed out. Some guys I hunted with told me to relax, quit burning vacation time, and wait until April when the birds want to die. This was the best advice I think I have ever gotten regarding turkey hunting, especially here in AL. Just ride out this slow start, and hunt em hard during April. It's like a switch goes off and the birds go from silent and hidden to loud and suicidal...

Shotgun

Hang in there.  I'm in Bama as well this week and haven't hardly seen any sign or heard any gobbling, until this morning one finally gobbled and I was stepping on his head shortly after.

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: Shotgun on March 17, 2011, 11:28:34 AM
Hang in there.  I'm in Bama as well this week and haven't hardly seen any sign or heard any gobbling, until this morning one finally gobbled and I was stepping on his head shortly after.

Congrats!!!!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

wareagle99

Me too!!!  hunted Tues and Wed and did not hear the first gobble.  Killed a bird but he didn't gobble.  I think its early.  Going back this weekend and really hopin it gets better.........

CASH

Quote from: Basser69 on March 17, 2011, 09:47:19 AM

x2
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

hobbes

I thougth someone said Alabama didn't have any birds anyway.  Besides, I killed the last bird in AL in 1993 or 94.  I thought I heard one there in 96, but it must have been some idiot with a gobble shaker.  I could have swore I saw one cross the road in centeral AL in 2004, but it must have been an armadillo or a road runner.  In 2008 I saw some tracks, but have since determined they were made by a Blue Heron that must have been searching for water.

contagious

In 2008 I saw some tracks, but have since determined they were made by a Blue Heron that must have been searching for water.

Funny stuff.!!!!!!!! :lol: