turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Wild Turkey Recipe

Started by Selluwud, May 07, 2014, 09:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selluwud

Waiting to get my first bird.....I know it will be soon as I have been patiently studying the patterns of a few big Toms on the farm I live next to. I will never shoot any game for fun, I believe if you shoot it, you need to eat it. That being said, I'd like some input on the best way to prepare one of these cagey old birds once I get him to the butcher block. Thanks in advance to all you wild game chefs out there.
5/4ths of people don't understand fractions

Swampchickin234

Heat the grease.  2. Cut into nugget sized pieces, and marinade in itallion dressing for 24 hours. 3. Dip in egg or buttermilk, roll in flour salt and pepper and , fry till golden brown and enjoy a nice long nap afterwords thumbsup;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redjones

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on May 07, 2014, 11:13:15 PM
  Heat the grease.  2. Cut into nugget sized pieces, and marinade in itallion dressing for 24 hours. 3. Dip in egg or buttermilk, roll in flour salt and pepper and , fry till golden brown and enjoy a nice long nap afterwords thumbsup;

This^^^^^

Greg
Semper Fi

Selluwud

Thanks for the idea. Chunk it, soak it, fry it......I like that. That works with about any kind of meat. Gotta go get that bird in the morning.

FullChoke

Check the recipe section on the main board listing for some great dishes. You can do a lot better than soak in Italian dressing and fry.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Selluwud

Thanks, I found that section after I posted my original question. What's your favorite??

DirtNap647

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on May 07, 2014, 11:13:15 PM

yummy

KYFrid

I like to cut up in pieces and marinate. Then wrap the marinated turkey chunks with bacon and place on skewers on the grill.

BHMTitan

For fried turkey, the Lemon Pepper recipe is tops for me:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,6820.0.html

I tried the grilled Jamaican Jerk recipe a couple of weeks ago... it was great also.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: Selluwud on May 08, 2014, 07:07:47 AM
Thanks for the idea. Chunk it, soak it, fry it......I like that. That works with about any kind of meat. Gotta go get that bird in the morning.
good luck, hope ya have a hard time if wrapping that tag on his leg because his Hooks are so long lol

wisconsinteacher

After years of not enjoying wild turkey, I finally figured it out.  Take the breast and get it clean of all white membrane.  From there cut it so it is in chucks that are 3/4" thick then pound out with meat hammer.  Heat oil in fry pan and coat the bird with flour, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and pepper.  Fry the thin pieces until golden brown.  It is great. 

As far as dark meat, I tried this and like it a lot.  I put the legs/thighs in the slow cooker over night on low with water to cover, pepper, salt and garlic powder.  Peel all the meat off and get it looking like pulled beef.  From there, I used it to make carnitas!!!!  I will post the recipe on the other page later this weekend.  They were great.

FullChoke

Quote from: Selluwud on May 08, 2014, 07:37:49 AM
Thanks, I found that section after I posted my original question. What's your favorite??
There is a recipe in there for the Grilled Turkey Breast that I have been making for several years that uses cajun seasoning, honey and bacon. It is like manna from Heaven and easy as can be.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jblackburn

I like it fried as well as the next guy, but the Jamaican Jerk recipe in the recipe section is awesome!  I also like slow cooking a whole breast on the grill and lathering it in a good bbq sauce.

Turkey kabobs are also good.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

doublebarrel

Frank Cox has an awesome recipe for turkey rollups.

Also legs/thighs and any back and wing meat..slow cooker for 8 hours..season to your liking...strain and clean..shred it like pulled pork and put in BBQ sauce. Like a pulled pork sandwich

Gooserbat

I use it in stead of chicken in fajitas, or I cut it into thin strips about 4" long add aprox 1/2 t spoon of cream cheese and roll it up with 1/2 strip of bacon and tooth pick it together.  You can ad a jalapeno slice if you like.  Then broil it for about 20-25 min at 400
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.