Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many use a rangefinder while hunting turkeys?

Started by WyoHunter, May 07, 2014, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use a rangefinder while hunting turkeys?

Yes
No
Sometimes

Hooksfan

I have never bought one, but I can't say that there weren't times when it would have come in handy.  It has been on my to buy list for the past several seasons, but by the time I have bought all of the tags for me and the kids, figured gas money for trips, motels, etc, I have already overspent my budget and the rangefinder gets put off.  I would use it more for taking the kids and other folks than for when I am hunting alone.

Gobble!

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on May 08, 2014, 10:20:41 AM
i dont use it everytime i set up but i carry it everyday. if given the time, I range 50yds in each direction

Yep. Never leave home without it. If I have time I range everything out to 50 when I sit down. 

deerbasshunter3

This will be my first season really turkey hunting so I will probably take a rangefinder to range decoys and out to 40 yards.

Ringbill

I have never shot a bird more than 35 yards out...duck hunting over the decoys has given me experience and judgment. I don't use a range finder- a good pair of compact binoculars (Leupold Rogue) I find of more use both hunting and scouting. :morning:

hunter22

I don't use one. I am a pretty good at judging distances. That said, my son uses one and it is the first thing he gets out of his vest when we make a setup.

Dr Juice

I have a diamond reticle in my scope. Once the base of the neck touches the bottom of it while the top of the Tom's head meets the top of the diamond, I launch!

Tennessee Lead

I bought my first rangefinder this fall. I plan on using it this turkey season when I set up on a bird to quickly check a few distances.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

jcour4

I have a couple of range finders but quite honestly I never took one turkey hunting, heck rarely take one bow hunting anymore. I've never felt that I wish I woulda had a rangefinder for turkeys, but I dont now hunt for turkeys.

owlhoot

Cut N Run

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 26, 2015, 06:27:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever put a small flag, or some other marker, out at 40 yards? I have heard of people doing this for deer but I have never tried it.

At my old lease, there was a 50 year old sawdust pile in the woods that had turned to rich, dark soil. The turkeys had that place torn up by scratching for grubs. The sawdust kept things from growing there, so it was like an oasis in the middle of regrowing mixed pine & hardwoods.  At the end of the opening was a big sweetgum tree that had buttressed roots, about like an easy chair.  I dragged a few dead cedar trees up to help break up my outline, then cut some small trees to make shooting lanes closer to my tree. I stepped off 40 yards straight in front of that gum tree and tied a small black nylon rope to a tree in the widest shooting lane.  Any grown turkeys that got inside of that marker were in easy range.  The woods around there were so thick that it was hard to hunt anywhere close by, but that's also what made that spot great.  I took 8 grown gobblers from that spot in 6 years I hunted there and my best friend killed another 5 from the same spot.  We never hunted it more than a few times a week to give it a chance to rest.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

SwampKrunk

I range objects in advance because I'm usually bow hunting. Never have with a shotgun in hand but I normally cant see far anyway. I try and setup so that he cant see where he thinks the calling is coming from til it's too late.

SwampKrunk