Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many use a rangefinder while hunting turkeys?

Started by WyoHunter, May 07, 2014, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use a rangefinder while hunting turkeys?

Yes
No
Sometimes

WyoHunter

After misjudging the range on a gobbler last year I started to carry and use a rangefinder. Do you use one?
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Rapscallion Vermilion

Mostly when scouting.  I like to challenge myself at marginal shooting distances.  I've gotten much better, but terrain, slope (uphill versus downhill) and lighting can still lead to some surprises.  It is nice to have the monocular too.  I really should carry it more often.

Skeeterbait

Yep, only thing I am interested in is a 40 yard reference.  So when I set up I quickly pull it out and find a 40 yard object as a reference or two.  from that you can mentally determine a 40 yard arc out in front of you and when the bird shows up you are sure of when he steps inside your arc.

TX Aggie

I use mine when scouting - like stated above - I will find land marks and know where the 40yard range is. If I know I am going to sit in a spot multiple times I will mark a tree to help me remember my range limits. It also helps me when I have taken other people along for the hunt - I can show them the mark and tell them to wait until he is inside this perimeter. 

VAarrowslinger

i dont use it everytime i set up but i carry it everyday. if given the time, I range 50yds in each direction

DirtNap647

rangefinder found a home in my vest really takes the guess work out of it

L.F. Cox

Unless you're a "blind sitter" I see no need for a range finder....if you think you need one then the turkey is most likely too far.

budtripp

I carry mine, but usually only use it to verify distances after a kill, just for curiosity's sake. Or on the rare occasion I bowhunt turkeys its nice to have.

Gooserbat

I never have but I've been known to quickly step off "how far to that tree" a time or two when the situation allowed.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

gobbler777

I'm a guide and like to give myself and clients a reference distance as I generally call the shot. 
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Marc

If I were bow hunting or shooting with a pellet rifle, I would likely use a range finder.

For a shotgun...  Not so much. 

With a pellet gun or bow, the difference between 30 and 35 yards could be a miss...  With a shotgun, if the bird is in range it will likely die.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

WildTigerTrout

I have not carried a rangefinder to turkey hunt up to this point, but I may start. I consider myself a pretty good judge of distance, however last week I misjudged the distance to a gobbler by about ten yards and I missed him. My first miss ever! I was'nt happy but later that day I bagged a good one at what I thought was about 35 yards. I was right that time. IMO you are more likely to misjudge distance if you are sitting close to the ground rather than standing up. That's just my opinion. Now where did I put the batteries to my rangefinder? LOL
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Cut N Run

Like many have said, I'll usually step off the distance to rocks, fallen trees, a particular tree in front of me.  Most of the places I hunt are pretty tight and I usually don't get the opportunity to take long shots.  I have never killed a turkey over 35 yards away because I only ever shot at one farther than that and I lost him.  He ran off and I never found him, so I quit taking shots longer than 35 yards.  It was in the days before Hevi shot (all I shoot now), but it made me overly cautious.  Even though I know my gun & ammo will do the job well beyond 35, it is a mental thing.  I've let a lot of birds slide that I could have killed, though I often get them later anyway. 

I have also been bowhunting for over 35 years and got to be pretty good at judging distance.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

jakesdad

I carry one in my vest to measure a reference point if i'm in open timber or in a field,if time allows.If im in thicker timber then no I dont see the need.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

MazeNBlu3

I use one, I range various objects to get my bearings on range when a bird comes walking in.