turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot a hard gobbling jake

Started by mossybird, May 07, 2014, 12:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossybird

Yesterday i went out at mid day to my honey hole to see if i could hear one. Usually at around 1 o clock if one answers you, better get ready. I walked out to my listening spot and heard a gobbler in a cow pasture. I knew exactly where to set up on this bird and did it in quick time. The terrain was just right for me to crawl and stick a hen decoy out and crawl back. I got back to my seat and I gave him a few yelps on my trumpet and he hammered back. He knew where I was so i just shut up. He gobbled every 10-20 seconds and I could tell he was getting closer. All of the sudden he shut up and I knew it was game time. He popped over the hill about 3 minutes later and knew something wasnt right. Maybe he already knew the decoy scheme, i have no idea. At that moment he was 65 yards. I wasnt too comfortable taking that shot, so i gave him a couple purrs and he eased another 10 yards or so and the gun went off. Bang flop at 54 steps. The Winchester Longbeard 6s put a hurting on him. No flopping what so ever. Biggest body jake ive killed. Now its time to get the one over there im really after. Excuse how sweaty i am lol

17 lbs 6oz
5 inch beard
Nubby spurs

troutfisher13111

DirtNap647

WillH

eddie234

Congrats!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

cphill

Congrats man

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

captin_hook

tomstopper

beagler

Never Misses

bigdoc

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on your bird!! :icon_thumright: That'll teach him to gobble like a big boy!! ;D

catman529

Congrats, that is a big jake. I killed a longbeard this year...no, two longbeards that weighed less than your jake.

boomer

alclark2

Nice work! The two longbeards I shot were both 18 pound 2 year olds also. That's a big jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.