turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Having some trouble!

Started by Dakota_Knable, May 06, 2014, 07:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota_Knable

Every morning i hear the same five birds gobble before light. They will gobble till about 6 o'clock then they shut up. I sat till 11 last Saturday and didn't hear them after 6! What should I do to make my chances better at killing one of these Pennsylvanian toms?! Any help would be appreciated!

owlhoot

hang in there , get in their way

Marc

Are you hunting the same spot each time?  I might make a tactical move.  If you have been on the same side of the roost, move to the other side, even if it is further away.  If you know which way they head each morning off the roost, I might make a move in that direction, even if you have to move further away.

If you are calling at them on the roost, I would stop.  I think that calling to birds on the roost makes them gobble, but reduces your chances greatly.  I might do a very light tree yelp at 5:55 and shut up.  Start calling with single clucks and mellow yelps when you think they are on the ground, and be prepared for a quiet approach.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

upstate

hang in there mite be with the hens  but like thay said move .   

TnRidgeRunner

Sleep in...then try to find them later in the day. Not gonna hear as many gobbles, but you'll hear the ones that count.  :anim_25:

ilbucksndux

Get in their way. Im betting they are roosting with hens and following them off.
Gary Bartlow

bowmike

Quote from: TnRidgeRunner on May 06, 2014, 11:48:48 PM
Not gonna hear as many gobbles, but you'll hear the ones that count.  :anim_25:

nice quote. I would still go out early, but that's because I can only hunt an hour before work, but if you get a gobble after 930 it may be a lot easier to call him in.

Gumby

How far away from roost are u setting up? Go early, walk slow and low, and get CLOSE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigspurs68

I agree about getting close. If you really want one of those birds, get out there super early and get a tight as you can. Maybe just listen and watch if you can. No calling. You could learn what they do and kill them the next morning. There are other options but that should do it if you can sneak and be still.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

VAarrowslinger

use the info you have and make the best educated guess as to what direction they head most of the days and setup to intercept them. Be patient