OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A double with my grandson, his first ever.

Started by Tail Feathers, May 05, 2014, 09:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

I took my oldest grandson out Saturday morning.  He's never been turkey hunting but has been bitten by the hunting and fishing bug during the past year.
We had turkeys all over us from the first gobble.  About a half hour after flydown five longbeards filtered in from the right and he couldn't get a shot.  One was getting in the danger zone of busting us so I went ahead and filled my tag.  The turkeys seemed puzzled and just ran a short distance, clucking and milling around about 60-70 yards out.
We checked my bird real fast and got back to our set up and began calling.  The birds gobbled and seemed to me holding their distance.  I glanced over my shoulder and there stood two red heads.
Five jakes slipped in from behind us!  I whispered to my grandson and he got turned around.  They spooked a bit but a few soft calls brought two of them back in to range.  He dropped his first tom 20 minutes after mine from the exact same spot, only in a different direction.  He was one happy kid.  Grandpa was pretty tickled too. :toothy9: :toothy9:

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

SwampSniper

tomstopper

DirtNap647

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

darn2ten

Now that right there is what it's all about. Just look at that boy, he's proud as a possum. If he wasn't bitten by the bug before, you can guarantee he is now!

boomer

wcerin

Those are memories that will last forever. He looks mighty proud, he's hooked for good now.Congrats!
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

El Pavo Grande

Y@

What a great memory and hunt. Congrats to you both!

ncturkey

chatterbox