OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for my first trumpet call

Started by Spur806, May 05, 2014, 08:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spur806

Hey guys want to invest in my first trumpet call, and don't know where to start at, any input would be appriciated, thanks

West Augusta

Call all of the trumpet makers here.  They will run one of their trumpets for you.  Pick the one you like best.  They all make quality woodwinds.  You need to pick one that you think sounds like a turkey.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pappy

Quote from: West Augusta on May 05, 2014, 08:33:34 PM
Call all of the trumpet makers here.  They will run one of their trumpets for you.  Pick the one you like best.  They all make quality woodwinds.  You need to pick one that you think sounds like a turkey.

You have to contact folks, don't be shy. Explain your situation to them. But remember if you want to pay big bucks for a call, with a turn around time of months or years, then take in consideration your ability to use the call you bought. It takes a lot of practice to use a trumpet properly, I could not use one when I started making them years ago, and they sounded just like that too! So, buy what you will, but take the time to be committed to making the call work for you. Also, explain to the call maker your preferences on mouth piece size, as just fractions of inches change the user's ability to get complete coverage in their lips, I have one customer sending a call back now to reduce the outer dimensions by 1/64th of an inch to better fit in his mouth. It happens, so be specific on size here as well as overall size because your bucks you spend are often as hard earned as the bird you work to the barrel of your shotgun.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Spur806

outdoors

PAPPY GOT THAT RIGHT. > lot of practice <
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Marc

Quote from: pappy on May 07, 2014, 10:34:05 AM
Also, explain to the call maker your preferences on mouth piece size, as just fractions of inches change the user's ability to get complete coverage in their lips, I have one customer sending a call back now to reduce the outer dimensions by 1/64th of an inch to better fit in his mouth. It happens, so be specific on size here as well as overall size because your bucks you spend are often as hard earned as the bird you work to the barrel of your shotgun.

If you have never used a trumpet before, how would you know what size mouth piece to get?  In other words, if the OP or someone else wanted to get started on a trumpet not knowing very much about them, where would he (or myself) get started?

I'd love to play with some of these calls, but I know of nobody that has one.

I will say one thing about expensive calls...  It is a great motivating factor to learn to use them...  One thing to buy a $10 that I cannot use, quite another to spend over $100 and have a call that sits in the drawer.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dfresh55

i agree how is one to know what size is needed? and reed preferences if they have never used one? any recomendations?

West Augusta

It actually took me a couple years to learn to run a trumpet.  I would put it down for a while and pick it up.  A few members here and on other forums helped me out a lot.  I have taken 3 fine gobblers with trumpets now and 2 were the biggest that I have ever taken. They are worth the effort to learn.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

davisd9

Better to spend the money on a quality trumpet that can be ran easier that a less expensive that is difficult to use. Learned that lesson the hard way.

It is also easier to get your money back on a call from a good maker of you decide it is not for you.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tail Feathers

I can't play a trumpet particularly well, but I have a couple of real nice ones friends gave me.  I need to spend more time learning them.
Looking at a nice one, I'd have to charge a grand to make one...they look so hard to make. :o
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

savduck

Quote from: Marc on May 08, 2014, 01:04:37 AM
Quote from: pappy on May 07, 2014, 10:34:05 AM
Also, explain to the call maker your preferences on mouth piece size, as just fractions of inches change the user's ability to get complete coverage in their lips, I have one customer sending a call back now to reduce the outer dimensions by 1/64th of an inch to better fit in his mouth. It happens, so be specific on size here as well as overall size because your bucks you spend are often as hard earned as the bird you work to the barrel of your shotgun.

If you have never used a trumpet before, how would you know what size mouth piece to get?  In other words, if the OP or someone else wanted to get started on a trumpet not knowing very much about them, where would he (or myself) get started?

I'd love to play with some of these calls, but I know of nobody that has one.

I will say one thing about expensive calls...  It is a great motivating factor to learn to use them...  One thing to buy a $10 that I cannot use, quite another to spend over $100 and have a call that sits in the drawer.

There is no right answer. The right hole size depends on the individuals style of drawing air. Everyones lips, muscles,and air movement are different. Some of the easier trumpets to draw air on are Mero, Dangerfield, crawdad, Kenny Pedelahore and Buice. There are many other solid trumpets id recommend, but these five to me would have the easiest draw for a beginner.

If your willing to spend the money, the Buice may give you the best option because you can get interchangeable mouth pieces with different sizes. This allows you to find the size hole that fits your style. If you got his field grade Osage and all five mouth pieces you are right at 200 dollars...i look at it like this. Each mouth piece makes a slightly different sound...thats five trumpets for 200 bucks. Buice trumpets are very popular, so if it isnt for you, put it in the classified section and it will re sell fairly quickly.
Georgia Boy

Spur806

I received one from crawdad, on Monday, and it is a fine call, nice craftsmanship, and easy to run so far, although I'm still learning lol, I apriciate all the pmab I got that helped me make a decision, thanks guys

savduck

Nice choice. Robert builds a great yelper. I own two myself.
Georgia Boy