OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

recommendation needed for scope

Started by SwampSniper, May 05, 2014, 04:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampSniper

I was thinking of adding a scope to my Mossberg 835 next year. Eyes are a little weaker than they used to be. Any recommendations of what I should look at getting?

Twowithone

Leoupold makes good glass. I have a Simmons Pro Diamond on my winnie1300. My eyes were getting bad also so I made the switch to a scope and Im glad I did. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

SwampSniper

Thanks for input. I will give them a look.

J-Shaped

Go with the best glass you can afford. The recoil of a turkey gun can be havoc on a scope. I'm really partial to the Pentax Lightseeker, but they've since discontinued them, and have a couple of hunting partners that run the Nikon Turkey Pros, also discontinued. You can occasionally run across both used, and there were a couple of Pentax that went for cheap on this site earlier this year. Based on what's out there now, I'd probably look hard at a Leupold. You'll get a lot of opinions, but if you have the place to do so, try to check some out in person, and definitely keep in mind the eye relief, especially if you shoot 3.5's in your 835. Many folks don't like the idea of a scope, but I've never once felt disadvantaged with one, and while I don't hunt with one exclusively, I've turkey hunted with them for a long time.

d.winsor

I wouldn't overlook a good red dot such as the fastfire 3, it has a one year warranty, The ultradot west for similar money is a red dot and has a lifetime warranty.  I have used aimpoint red dot and scopes on my turkey guns since 1992 nothing like them.  Since I have gone to the small red dots as mentioned and using them and adding a modified choke and 2 3/4 shells to my turkey gun turns the gun into a do all set up.  Squirrel, rabbits, pheasants, etc.  You don't have to worry about eye relief or scope eye, they are great, of course that is just my opinion.  Just put the red dot on it and pull the trigger.

Ridge Rooster

I agree with d.winsor on his advice on the red dot sighting system. I went with a Burris FF3 this season and was pretty impressed with the little sight.
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

the Ward

A good budget scope is the Bushnell dusk to dawn 1.75 to 4.5 shotgun scope. It has the circle plex reticule and 6" of eye relief. I have one on a 870 slug gun and it works great. The eye relief is nice as it allows you to position it where you want without fear of scope eye. The only drawback is a smaller field of view, but if you shoot with both eyes open its negligible. Midway has them on sale for around $70 with free shipping. All in all a nice compact scope for the price.

VAarrowslinger

Ive had a simmons pro-diamond for years on an 835 shooting 3.5" with no problems. I also have a leupold NWTF and its excellent also. Nikon make a good turkey scope as well.

WyoHunter

Quote from: the Ward on May 07, 2014, 12:10:08 PM
A good budget scope is the Bushnell dusk to dawn 1.75 to 4.5 shotgun scope. It has the circle plex reticule and 6" of eye relief. I have one on a 870 slug gun and it works great. The eye relief is nice as it allows you to position it where you want without fear of scope eye. The only drawback is a smaller field of view, but if you shoot with both eyes open its negligible. Midway has them on sale for around $70 with free shipping. All in all a nice compact scope for the price.
I've got two and really like them. Have had them for 12 years without a problem. They get my vote.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Snoodsniper

I think a good scout type scope might be an option. The forward mounting could be nice on a turkey gun. Never seen one set up on a shotgun though. I have a 2x truglo red dot that offers some magnification. It's a little bulky compared to my ff iii but it wouldn't be when compared to a scope. They are a very nice optic for the money. Mine has taken a pounding on my BPS and now resides on my 870. It has never lost zero. I think 2x is adequate at turkey range.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk