News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How close is too close to a roost?

Started by Gutsdozer, May 03, 2014, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutsdozer

Hello,

My first post here and a search didn't yield much. I could have just missed it too. This is my first year turkey hunting and I have to really make time to do it. Raising a family and a hectic job and all. Turns out tomorrow I will have all day (well most of a day anyway) to hunt an area that I only have a general idea of where the birds are.

I've been to this location already and they seem to like to gather in a low laying area that is a little bit isolated but not hard to get to. However, I'm going in blind really. My questions are if the birds are roosted in the area I think they will be is it a good idea to just set up in the area I mentioned that they seem to like to gather in or just keep hitting the owl call until I hear something elsewhere? Also, how close can you get to a roost without spooking them? It is a public hunting area so it's almost a race sometimes to get to a good spot and then you have to hope somebody doesn't walk right into your setup.

Unfortunately we are at about the half way point in the season here and I'm starting to worry I won't even get close to a tom or a jake for that matter. I did have a big tom run across the road as i was leaving the other day...I swear he paused and gave me the middle feather and took off again...Right now I'm using a strutting jake and a couple cheap hen decoys. I have a regular jake decoy in the bag also.

any help and advice is appreciated.

howl

That's a variable to be learned through experience. The only too close is if he flies down to land above you on the ridge. You need to be between the bird and where it wants to go. You certainly want to be within 200 yards in a location he will go to if you want to kill it off the roost. You do not want to be seen at all. If they have any inkling of anything strange where they want to fly down, they'll stay roosted or drop down and slip out.

If you know about where they are, there's no need to owl. Letting them gobble on their own will make it easier to identify the most eager of them. The one roosted highest on the hill with the rounded sounding gobble is the one you want to get after. He's likely young and has no hens.

Also, I hope someone has told you they're easier to kill later in the day. So, if you're pressed for time don't feel like you can only hunt mornings. Hunt any time you have a few hours.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: howl on May 03, 2014, 10:07:12 AM
Also, I hope someone has told you they're easier to kill later in the day. So, if you're pressed for time don't feel like you can only hunt mornings. Hunt any time you have a few hours.

Saddly this is the first time I have heard this. I was actually told by an "experienced" hunter that if it's going to happen at all the odds are very high that it will be in the first fewer hours after they come off their roosts. Are we talking early afternoon'ish?

ridgerunner

I'd rather be where the birds gather later after flydown, than right on them off the roost..if you get too close to them on the roost they'll fly off many times 80-100 yards when they pitch out, most days anyway.

I'd rather be where the birds want to be after they fly down than right on top of them off the roost.

howl

They're easier later because the hens leave them. When that happens varies. Between ten and two covers it. If you can get one to answer you at two in the afternoon, get ready because he's coming.

Marc

Quote from: howl on May 03, 2014, 09:54:34 PM
They're easier later because the hens leave them. When that happens varies. Between ten and two covers it. If you can get one to answer you at two in the afternoon, get ready because he's coming.

I am still gaining experience, but I have killed a few birds, and called in a few for friends...  I can only think of one I killed that flew in right off the roost.  A bird answers you later in the day, they are far more likely to commit.

And another little tidbit I have found useful...  If I am hunting later in the morning or early afternoon, and a get a bird that hangs up, if I know I am going to return in a day or two, I have learned a little trick that seems to work:

If that bird is hung up, and keeps coming almost in, and leaving, wait till he is a ways off, and leave while calling (if you can do so without being spotted).  If you can hit that bird the next day or so, he will be less likely to hang up, and will come in a lot more quickly.

I walk out briskly, do not drag my feet, and I walk out with short yelps and clucks.

More than two or three days between hunts, and this will likely have little effect...  The good and bad is that it seems to me, turkeys have a relatively short memory.

As far as too close to the roost...  I feel if they can see or hear you setting up (say within 200 yards), you are fighting a losing battle.  If I can set up within 50 yards without being seen or heard, the chances of success are increased...

I do not like to call to birds on the roost too much...  One soft tree yelp as fly-down approaches, and wait till they hit the ground before calling more aggressively...  The exception to this, is if a hen gets upset at your initial call...  If you can irritate the dominant hen enough to come investigate, you most certainly gain some uphill leverage on the situation.

Very situational.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gutsdozer

Thanks for all the tips everyone. So I went yesterday morning. The birds were gobbling pretty good. I had one I'd say 75-100 behind me and to the right. I had made a decent guess as to where they were. I had decoys out and was waiting. He was just on the other side of a tree line so I couldn't see him but he was close. I think I may have over called to him. I was using a diaphragm and a box in conjunction. He sounded like he would walk off and then come right back within 75 yards or so. This went on for about a half an hour. He never committed.

You think I should have went after him? slowly make my way to his location?

TnRidgeRunner

I've had that happen several times, but it usually happens later in the day. What I've experienced is when the bird goes to his strut zone later in the morning. He will gobble and gobble and gobble until you question whether or not it's another hunter messing with you with a gobbler shaker. The whole time he's basically pacing back and forth on about a 100 yard line on a ridge. The way that I've capitalized on this is to (after I've figured out the pattern he's making that morning) wait till he starts moving away and slip into the closest point he made it to. When you get there don't friggin call...had them walk away over the hill when I did. I've killed several this way and they usually come in really slow and drumming. Just get to the location he keeps coming back to and sit tight (and very still). Good luck man and best of luck.

jbrown

Listen to ridgerunners advice...he is spot on! If you set up again on the roost, let him fly down, use soft purrs and clucks, DON"T over call!! If the gobbler cuts your call, he knows exactly where your at, let the gobbler hunt you. If hes comin, don't call...lay your call down, get your gun up and be still. Be patient, that kills lots of turkeys. If you move on him, remember if he even THINKS that he see's something....game over.