turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"Don't Give Up!"

Started by bbcoach, May 02, 2014, 07:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Where I've been hunting here in Eastern NC, I've seen cold weather with no gobbling, rainy weather with little gobbling, gobblers gobbling their heads off but hened up and 4 weeks into the season back to very little gobbling but today the good Lord shined down.  After a start to a morning with no gobbling or seeing any birds, I headed back to the truck for a lonely ride home but rounding the last curve before I get to my truck there is a long beard and two ladies strutting and feeding in the road about 500 yards away.  So after making a game plan, reconing through about 400 yards of scrub pines to get within approximately 75 yards and with some light yelps and purrs to bring them into shooting range, I finally was blessed with a 18 lb, 1 inch spured, 8 1/2" bearded bird.  For those of you up north, who have started or will start their season tomorrow and those of you that are somewhat frustrated, Enjoy the moments Outdoors and "Don't Ever Give Up!"  Good Luck to All! 

tomstopper

DirtNap647

matchbook454

Congrats!  My day didn't end quite as good as yours but similar.  Our hunting here in IL ends at 1:00.  I hunted till 12:50 before I finally had a gobble.  Unfortunately he snuck in behind me and cut me off in the middle of a call sequence.  Think he made me or knew something was up.  I figure he was within 40 yards when he gobbled.  I just froze hoping he'd walk past me to my decoy in the field but unfortunately he didn't.  His next gobble was further away and the next further yet.  If I had been facing the other way I wouldn't be eating tag soup for dinner.  Anyway, only gobbles I heard the day before were right around the same time, but just not as close.  If I had cut out early, I never would have known there were birds there.   This was a new piece of property that I really didn't get to scout thoroughly but I will definitely put more time in before next season and will definitely be back.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

beagler

Never Misses

renegade19

Quote from: matchbook454 on May 04, 2014, 09:18:26 PM
Congrats!  My day didn't end quite as good as yours but similar.  Our hunting here in IL ends at 1:00.  I hunted till 12:50 before I finally had a gobble.  Unfortunately he snuck in behind me and cut me off in the middle of a call sequence.  Think he made me or knew something was up.  I figure he was within 40 yards when he gobbled.  I just froze hoping he'd walk past me to my decoy in the field but unfortunately he didn't.  His next gobble was further away and the next further yet.  If I had been facing the other way I wouldn't be eating tag soup for dinner.  Anyway, only gobbles I heard the day before were right around the same time, but just not as close.  If I had cut out early, I never would have known there were birds there.   This was a new piece of property that I really didn't get to scout thoroughly but I will definitely put more time in before next season and will definitely be back.
I'm in the southern zone but had similar experiences.   My buddy killed one opening day of 1st season at 12:55pm.  I killed one 2nd day of 5th season at 12:40pm.  Strange behavior this year.