OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Switch to Nitro ammo?

Started by neal, May 01, 2014, 04:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neal

12    3.5    2 7/16    1,200    $187.95    $80.50    $43.25
12    3.5    2 1/4    1,200    $178.95    $76.50    $41.00
12    3.5    2 1/4    1,240    $178.95    $76.50    $41.00

Question for the guys with experience, because I have very little I've been shooting the Hevi 7's out of my SBEII 26" with a gobbler guns .665 choke for 4 years now. Like I said shooting the Hevi shot 7's and have been happy for the most part but if there's something better I'd like to be shooting it, so I'm considering the Nitros. I your opinion which of the Nitros would be the way to go? Or are the 3 about the same? The $8 price difference means nothing when getting to this price level so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks for any advise, I probably should just stick with what I have but you know how it is, if there's something better it'd be nice to have.

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

chris30br

I would just stick with what u been using. Last year I spent hundreds of dollars with nitro to test Chokes and shells and when I found what I wanted I bought 50 shells for ky 12 gauge and 25 for my 20 gauge, to my surprise I ran some of the new shells through each gun and they be lucky to out shoot magblends, in fact I know they wont. So I jumped on the phone and called nitro and they blame it on my guns, need I say these are both brand new benelli's, and I find it very hard to belive something happened to both guns sitting in the safe. Don't know what nitro changed in their shells but Il never give them any more business and hope nobody else does! That's my take on junky nitro's!

DirtNap647

cant beat longbeards for the price I know everyone says shells is the cheapest part of the hunt but after pre season shooting and hunting I still manage to always shoot a lot of shells each year

Dtrkyman

From how the factory loads perform and some recent complaints about nitro I would shoot what is working currently personally.

I picked up the sbe2 for the first time in a while(bowhunting) and it patterns anything i put in it great out to 40, killed a bird with original remington hevi shot, still have one left!

vaturkey

If you want something better try the Federal HW's ! You wont get the big #'s but the down range knock down power , penetration & performance outweigh everything. JMO.  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

taylorjones20

IMO there's not a better performing shell on the market than Nitro Company.  Normally, in anything in life, you get what you pay for.  There's a small outdoor store close to where I live and I bought a few Nitros from him this year, and then I called last week to get some more and he said that he's sold out...  Said he sells out of Nitros every year.  They just work!  I think if you want the best, call and order some!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

matchbook454

In my opinion if you want consistancy, you need to handload.  I've heard good amd bad about Nitros, Hevi -13, especially.  I load tss but am considering other alternatives.  I really am not sure what I will be shooting next year - Hevi-13, Longbeards, handloads of some sort?

Ridge Rooster

I have been shooting Nitro's for years. Prob 10 or so, really cant recall. I have recommended them to several of my turkey hunting buddies and they have been using them with great success also. I consistently get excellent patterns with them and I plan on buying another 25 soon. To be honest, I have heard a few negative things lately about their shells not producing the groups that they have in the past. I will make sure when I order my new shells that they are loaded exactly like the old ones I have.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Mossyoakjim

IMO the Nitro H51013a is the best shell available period but the Mag Blends are a great shell in their own right. But if price is not a problem go with the nitros.

K9Doc

Forget the word "Nitro".
Overpriced and Overpressured

If u want the Very Best of Consistency
you must Load your own!!

Next best I would stick with the Hevi 13
Magblends.
If you can pattern the Fed HVYWT 7's
And just forget the about the Big 10 inch Numbers
At 40 yards, they pack a PUNCH.

The Federal HVYWT carry their Energy
Farther down range.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Old Gobbler

They'd are called " nitro " not cream puff ammo , they are HOT , HOT Loads ,that being said ,  I've never seen one catastrophic failure of a firearm due to them , they are not everyone's cup o tea , they shoot much harder that the h13 , use smaller pellets than the magblends , but don't hit near as hard as federal hw , or even lead in larger sizes - if it were me .....and I was able to get the magblends or federal hw to shoot well enough -I would choose those two over the nitros , just my opinion , as stated many times nitro likes to use lots of smaller pellets in it's loads , the magblends shoot lower numbers but have larger pellets

I shot the nitros for many , many years we are talking going back to the early 1990's when they were in upstate NY, they were then the highest quality ammo money could buy , they are still excellent , shoot hard and tight - but recently .... As of the last couple of years , many of the larger ammo companies have stepped up their game and made some that are as good or even better in many view points depending on again your point of view

Ray , pioneered in my opinion , high performance turkey ammo over 2 decades ago , also pioneered the relationship of coordinating special diameter chokes with certain loads to get fantastic results , he made widespread the 10 inch circle counts you see everyone referencing today , when everyone was talking 30 inch circles and pattern percentages like 90% in a 30 etc... Back in the 80's and 90's

I found a cheap effective 10 gauge load that shoots tight and hard with the federal #7 and bought enough for me to last 2 life times , so in my 3 life I'll switch back to something else and not have to worry about scrounging up more ammo

A couple of detractors with getting the nitros , is exactly that getting them - you have to plan well ahead and I suggest turkey hunters order in bigger 25 count lots , if you find a load that works well , I suggest you again buy plenty more , tomorrow isn't guaranteed in the turkey ammo world , the same goes for reloading folks , even nitro and reloaders are feeling the burn , when they can't get certain hulls ....powder or shot material at certain times - I shoot a 10 gauge and for me nitro is a invaluable asset as many companies have abandoned the 10

pattern on a hard plywood backer board and examine the penetration results in conjunction with pattern density , take look around at the many fine helpful posts giving folks a head start with load and chokes and come to a selection and BUY UP AS MUCH OF THE AMMO AS POSSIBLE , the tungsten prices don't look to go any cheaper in the foreseeable future , and what ever premium tungsten based ammo you select , I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU CRACK YOU WALLET AND BUY IT UP BY THE CASE , and I'm not talking just nitros , I'm talking any and every turkey related ammo , or reloading component - case in point the "old white" h13 loads , those are impossible to locate , and in 5-10 years time I suspect almost all tungsten based ammo will be long gone and unavailable if the current price trend mark stays consistent

Start hoarding turkey ammo , or you will regret it
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

blueridgegobbler

Stick with what you are using I shot nitros for years h321 loved them bought some last year and 8 dollars a piece 141 in a 10 is garbage federal turkey thugs will out shoot last years lot of shells. I have switched to longbeards and  love them they will consistently put up 180-200 in a 10 with a 21 inch barrel 870 and a 650 hastings. I shoot the 3 inch #6. Nitro is not the shell they used to be. They blamed my gun too when I told them I had a polished barrel and tried them thru rhino 660, a jebs, a 665 IC, and a 670 rhino  cleaning between each shot I pretty much didn't get anymore excuses.

Gooserbat

Quote from: vaturkey on May 04, 2014, 10:06:12 AM

This Exactly

If you want something better try the Federal HW's ! You wont get the big #'s but the down range knock down power , penetration & performance outweigh everything. JMO.  :icon_thumright:
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.