turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call stopped working?

Started by Marc, April 29, 2014, 11:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

My relatively new box call stopped getting friction, and no matter how much I chalk it, I cannot get it to run...  It is a Primos Heartbreaker with Primos chalk...  Not a fancy call, but I have enjoyed it this season.

I was practicing in the garage and it was working fine...  Chalked it up (with the same chalk I have been using all season), and now it does not run...  If I press hard, I can get a few high pitched squeaks that sound nothing like a turkey...

Wiped all the chalk off with a paper towel, re-chalked (with new call chalk), and it sounds better, but still not the call that it was an hour ago???

I am thinking emery cloth?

Any advice is appreciated.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TRKYHTR

Scotch brite and clean it good. Then chalk the lid. Check your rails and make sure there isn't any oil or water on them. Wipe them off with a paper towel and see how it works after that.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

jblackburn

Weird. I would have said you put chalkboard chalk on it, but you said it was call chalk. Try the scotch brite to clean rails and lid. Rechalk lid to see if it helps.

:anim_25:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

turkey john

Is the screw holding the lid loose? Try lightly sanding the edges of the box and the paddle. Start with the paddle.........Also look for a fine crack somewhere in the box sides. Almost all boxes require a light sanding after heavy use. Some more than others. Good Luck.

eddie234

A good box call doesnt need a ton of chalk to work. It is only use to get a little friction. A little goes a long way.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Marc

Quote from: turkey john on April 30, 2014, 01:01:55 PM
Is the screw holding the lid loose? Try lightly sanding the edges of the box and the paddle. Start with the paddle.........Also look for a fine crack somewhere in the box sides. Almost all boxes require a light sanding after heavy use. Some more than others. Good Luck.

I am thinking that with the hot weather and oily/sweaty hands, I might have created an issue...  Screws are down, and I removed all the chalk I could with a dry paper towel...  Without chalk, it does not even make a squeak.

What grain sand paper?  I was thinking of trying some emery cloth...
Did I do that?

turkey john

Use a fine grade sandpaper. Use it lightly as you are just trying to scuff it up and take any slick spots off. Go with the grain and then chalk it.. some calls take more chalk than others. Start light.
I usually do this a couple times a yr depending on the weather(wet/dry).

paboxcall

220 grit or finer, ad go lightly.  You do not want to change the radius of the lid or rails.  You may want to start with green scotchbrite first, and again, go light to get the old chalk off. 

A box will have changes over time as it dries, and of course more acutely will change when exposed to water, humidity and oil from handling or touching the friction surfaces.  If I had to guess, bet once you get the friction surfaces back to wood, then as suggested above begin applying a quality chalk lightly as you test and tune, your box should come back.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Marc

Thank you guys...

Scotchbrite certainly helped...

Sounds a lot better now, but not back to where it was before...  Previously, it was an extremely easy call to purr on, and it sounded good...  Much more difficult to purr on my favorite side now, and it does not sound all that great...  Yelps and cuts still sound good, and it still holds that "throaty" yelp that I like about the call, but it does not seem as loud now either.

I have a feeling after reading Paboxcall's post, that oils from my own hands and handling the call with sweaty hands is probably a culprit.

I take it you guys leave your box calls home when it rains?
Did I do that?

coyote1

Quote from: Marc on May 08, 2014, 12:39:28 AM
Thank you guys...

Scotchbrite certainly helped...

Sounds a lot better now, but not back to where it was before...  Previously, it was an extremely easy call to purr on, and it sounded good...  Much more difficult to purr on my favorite side now, and it does not sound all that great...  Yelps and cuts still sound good, and it still holds that "throaty" yelp that I like about the call, but it does not seem as loud now either.

I have a feeling after reading Paboxcall's post, that oils from my own hands and handling the call with sweaty hands is probably a culprit.

I take it you guys leave your box calls home when it rains?

I carry an old bread bag or gallon zip lock to put the call in when it rains. You can play the call while in the bag.

eddie234

I have calls just for those rainy days. My prized calls don't leave the house if there's a chance of rain.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DirtNap647

might wanna try a different box seems to me once they go hard to bring them back the same