turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Witch shotgun

Started by Snake reaper, April 29, 2014, 05:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake reaper

I am in the market for a new auto loader . I am thinking either a sbe2 or a stoger m3500. I need alittle professional info. Witch is the most reliable ,shoots the tightest patterns and will hold up for years of use for turkeys also might have to get a slug barrel for it if available for both. Main thing is the tightest pattern and reliable. Have two friends one of which is on here(game getter) has some extreme patterns with both of there m3500 at 40 yards.But will benelli be able to outshoot them and will they hold together . Need help not worried about price defferce. Just wanting the tightest pattern possible , at extreme shotgun distance with turkey loads. With one of these two guns.

Snake reaper

No one has shot or patterned these two guns. And have any pics of the patterns.

Deputy 14

Both guns are good guns and have performed well from what I've saw on here. The SBE2 is a very popular gun and well put together. Look at the turkey gun patterning section may be a big help for you. If your wanting extreme ranges use a rifle.

1iagobblergetter

I bought my first Benelli when they first came out with the SBE. I bought it mainly for waterfowl. Now I still have that gun and 2 SBE 2 s. They are very reliable and I've never had any malfunctions with any of them. In my opinion compared to my other turkey guns they are finicky as far as what chokes and loads work best. I had some poa/poi issues with the one I used only for turkeys. I didn't want to put optics on it and tried various chokes and loads until I found a combo where poa/poi was right on. Ive found mine liked tighter chokes verses more open. I'm sure a lot of guys will feel different, but mine sit in the safe anymore and I use a T/C Encore most of turkey season or once in awhile a 870. I know slug barrels are expensive for one because I was also thinking about buying one for mine along time ago and bought a brand new 870 with a deer barrel for less money.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Snake reaper on April 29, 2014, 10:03:29 PM
No one has shot or patterned these two guns. And have any pics of the patterns.

If the choice was between the 2 guns and money is not a factor, I'd choose the SBE II. Benelli makes an excellent barrel and those guns have been proven over many years to work very reliably under all conditions.

I've shot Benelli shotguns for years and properly choked they can throw excellent patterns.

The 3500 seems to be a pretty popular gun as well. It's a lot of gun for the money, uses the operating system common to the Benelli shotguns with some modification. As I recall, it's made in Turkey and most of those guns are very "robust" and over built.

I'm not sure exactly how long that gun has been in the U.S., maybe 3-4 years,  and so can't speak to the long term durability of it. The gunsmiths that I know have not seen any with enough use to give it a rating.

At the NWTF Convention this past year we had several folks come by and purchase chokes for that gun and my conversations with them indicated that they were happy with their guns, just needed better turkey chokes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Snoodsniper

If price is not an issue I would call Rob Robert gun works and order one of his custom SBE's. They already have everything- polished action, customized barrel, steady grip, custom choke and computerized patterning....probably more. Check out his website if you haven't already.

Snake reaper

Snoodsniper

Try gobblerguns.com. It should get you there. He's done a bunch of work to my gun. I have been very pleased.

HogBiologist

Not sure "which" shotgun I would choose. But, I sure wouldn't want a "witch" anywhere near my gun. She might jinx it.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

JuniorPre 360

I got my M3500 for duck hunting and it has performed flawlessly. I recently bought a JellyHead choke for it for turkeys. Shooting Longbeard #5's in 3 inch, I got 200 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. It's a great gun especially for the money. Only "issues" are a heave trigger pull and it only cycles certain brands of the cheap light loads for dove hunting. It will last as long s you keep it cleaned and maintain it like every other gun.

the Ward

Quote from: HogBiologist on April 30, 2014, 11:18:19 AM
Not sure "which" shotgun I would choose. But, I sure wouldn't want a "witch" anywhere near my gun. She might jinx it.  :TooFunny:
Hex no, I don't want one near mine neither! lol!

tnturkey

sbe2 is my choice but both are great stoegers are made by benelli at least that's what I thought.. may be wrong though. but either are great choices.

Buttonbuckslayer!

The price pretty much says it all.  You'll pay a premium price for a premium gun with the Benelli.  The stoeger is a great bargain IMOP though.  Lots of gun for the price.  I doubt anyone will be able to give you any real definite advice on which patterns better.  You can have two of the same guns with the same shell and tube, but 2 completely different patterns.  Both will more than Likely give you great patterns with the right load/choke combo.