turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What should I do or not do

Started by jim67, April 28, 2014, 07:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim67

I have a small property that always has gobbling around,so the 3rd week of the season and I set up in a blind because its small. Everytime Ive been out I hear the same bird gobble on the roost about 70yds behind me on a property I cant hunt. I tried soft tree yelps,he answers, soft yelps,he answers, then the hens. They go off the other direction on the other property. I don't know what else to do. Any advise is appreciated. BTW, I was on him all day one time but he never came in. He gobbled all day at me,tried closing the distance but went where he always goes.

MEbeardlover

I have never encountered this, but from what I have seen and read, you may try making a ruckus to really tick off the hens. In other words, stop calling the tom and call the hens. Lure the hens looking for a "tom stealer" and the tom could follow the hens.

livetohunt72

i agree with MEbeardlover, but the problem is getting hens to get pissed off its easy in some areas and not so easy in others ive been dealing with this same problem my best guess to tell you is if you know the birds come on your proprty then try to cut them off good luck!

jim67

Thanks. I thought about this a lot and lets hear what you think about this idea. I go into the woods behind where the bird is (the side where he flys down to) on the other property, no one hunts it and I will only be walking to my blind on my property, while walking to the bird, I scare him and her off the roosts toward my property,then walk to my blind and begin calling them back to me which is the way they always go. Does this make any sense? It could backfire like the birds aren't there anymore or they keep going the other direction.

jbrown

Get in your blind, get a buddy to set up about 75yds in front of you. You do the tree calls and a fly down cackle, dont call anymore, have your buddy yelp and cut while he moves slowly away, buddy could try a fightin purr...all turkeys love a good fight.