turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

favorite slate calls?

Started by livetohunt72, April 24, 2014, 09:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livetohunt72

just wondering what everyone elses favorite slates are.

my calls i carry are:
1. cody
2. primos power crystal
3. quaker boy double sided

i know the cody and crystal get the job done i dont care much for the quaker boy but have it just in case i also carry a box call and mouth calls

coyote1

Slate: lights out, Glass: tnt game calls, Ceramic: stone road calls, Crystal: a-way outdoors. I  have a stone rd aluminum and slate on order and also carry a box call, mouth calls.

drum817

SS laminated Slate over glass....don't leave the house without it!!!

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

scoot12

For slate surfaced pots,  Paul Platz cherry slate,  Dave Tyrees paduak sassy slate,  Clint Corders Jatoba slate and Jimmy Schaffers maple slate.  Scoot

Scout24

Did you mean any pot calls or just slate pot calls as you listed a crystal there. I also loved that Primos Power Crystal, for a $20 production pot it sure killed turkeys for me. Try some of the custom pots by OG members, you'll be amazed how realistic they sound. My favorite pot call is Halloran's Crystal Mistress, favorite slate pot is Cane Creek Pro Custom. In the right hands and on the right day they're all capable of killing birds.

livetohunt72

i know theres a difference but ive called all pot calls slate calls and if itsws glass or crystal ill call them a glass slate call i know its backasswards lol i just picked up another cheap call today by red head reality series and it sounds really good with the right striker not to fond of the striker it came with but for another $20 product it sounds good but my cody is my #1 go to for pot calls me and my dad both carry them and have killed alot of birds off it

livetohunt72

ill prolly pick up some custom made calls later this year before next season. what do yall use to condition your glass calls? the quaker boy i have i cant get the glass side to made a sound except a squeak here and there

fl panhandler

My favorite slates are made by Doug Camp, AKA Camp Callers and an Andy Kaiser slate.  They have helped me harvest quite a few gobblers. They are always easy to run and the turkeys seem to really like them as well.
Rick

Ctburdchasr

I have a sassy ceramic and crystal mistress from dave halloran, a slate birds eye pot and double glass from lon trice. Wet one slate, sliver fox aluminum, timeless glass, sidekick glass in a corian pot, from enticer turkey calls are my pot calls. For box calls I have the woodhaven real hen and the lynch's world champion call. For diaphragms I run the Matt van cise triple pack from mad. I always carry the box calls and the mouth calls. The pots are switched around constantly depending on weather forecasts time of season and style I am hunting. More often than not though I find the lon trice double glass or the crystal mistress in my hand. As for a conditioner for glass dave halloran sells them on his site for 5 dollars. And lon trice sent one complimentary to me with the purchase of my double glass and the slate I bought. Good luck figuring it out I am now addicted to purchasing new custom calls

Mosby

I bought a great laminated slate call this year at the NWTF from Jimmy Schaffer/Oak Ridge Turkey Calls. It went right into my vest. I also have one of his trough calls that is also in my vest. Can't find a nicer guy either. Done shopping for a great slate call.

I also have a great laminated ceramic from Andy Kaiser/Kaiser Kalls in my vest that I bought a couple of years ago. I haven't found a better ceramic than the one he made me. Andy makes a great call and would hunt with any call he makes.

They are probably my two favorite pot calls right now. Getting a better aluminum and glass call still on my bucket list.

Jgarrett

slate=  hot hen by Lonnie Sneed that I have paired with a purple heart/osage orange two piece harold fowler striker
glass=  Lon Trice glass/slate birdseye maple with a dymondwood striker
....I also run a double-sided Roberts Brothers Wormy Chestnut.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

ferocious calls

Any Lonnie Sneed Slate. They spit feathers!

nitro

Royal Slam 2008