turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Single decoy : Hen or single Jake?

Started by vpsalin, April 24, 2014, 07:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpsalin

1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

livetohunt72

i would go single hen over jake or a jake and hen i would think a gobbler seeing a lone jake wouldnt be as aggressive towards the decoy without a hens presence with it

JHoyle

We killed 7 this year over a dsd jake only. Every gobbler that saw the decoy bowed up and went straight to it. I wanted to see if a hen was even needed, i wont be carrying one anytime soon.

appalachianstruttstopper

I have had better luck with a single jake than single hen.  :z-twocents:

vpsalin

That doesn't muddy the water lolllll  :z-dizzy:
1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Tatr

I could see the hen not being needed. If you are calling in a gobbler he obviously thinks a hen is right there. He sees the jake and gets mad knowing that the jake is there with the hen.

Mike Honcho

I noticed last season I was getting great results with a Zink Avian jake only.   Much better than when I had used the jake and hen. 

jbrown

TX Aggie

Quote from: Mike Honcho on April 28, 2014, 05:38:38 PM
I noticed last season I was getting great results with a Zink Avian jake only.   Much better than when I had used the jake and hen.

is the jake you and everyone else using in a fanned out position or is it the half pose like the DSD jake decoy? I have never used anything other than a single hen or no decoys at all. The kind of year I am having I am looking at change up some things / add to the arsenal / or start all over and learn turkey hunting 101....

livetohunt72

I just bought a jake decoy for the same reason i feel like i no nothing this season these birds driveing me crazy!!!