turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Last minute tips

Started by JuniorPre 360, April 22, 2014, 01:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniorPre 360

In about 2 weeks I will be taking Wednesday-Saturday off from work to go after my first turkey if the boss allows it. I already have my permission slip signed by the wife lol. I'm all set for camo except a face mask. I will also be buying a sling for my shotgun because it looks like it'll be a long hike. I also have a slate call and a crow call if there aren't a lot of hunters out and about. The public land we scouted seems to be a popular spot to go after turkeys. But we talked to a local DNR and he said that the place was as good as any. There's a little snow left up top of the mountain and they say the flocks follow it for water. This is a late general season hunt I'll be going on so the place was hit for two weeks, let rest for one, then the general season starts on the 28th. I have 3 hens and a jake decoy (came in the flock) but not sure what I'll be packing up. But I plan on hunting from morning until night until I blow one's head off. I've been having dreams every night of huge flocks coming into my crappy inflatable decoys so I'm pretty much not coming down from the mountin until that happens. I was looking for any last minute advice or pointers to get ready for this hopefully successful hunt. I appreciate the help.

ilbucksndux

Don't forget to take TP. I had to sacrifice a pair of gloves this morning.
Gary Bartlow

jblackburn

Quote from: ilbucksndux on April 22, 2014, 02:06:08 PM

:TooFunny:

Been there done that!!  quart ziploc bag of TP in my vest at ALL times, now!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

TnRidgeRunner

"Note to self, throw away the gloves I found in the woods yesterday."  :goofball:

DirtNap647

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: ilbucksndux on April 22, 2014, 02:06:08 PM
DONE! Honestly, I didn't really think of that lol.

I went out and bought a pad to sit on today and also saw a vest that had a bright orange flag on the back. I'm guessing that this is so you don't get shot?

Spring_Woods

Sounds like you got it covered. Hunt hard!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

trackerbucky

Water and a snack if you might be all day. Skeeter repellent if it's warm enough for them to be a nuisance and something to keep the ticks off.  Good luck.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

Phire Phite

The obvious, but pattern that shotty if you haven't.  Insect repellant is a good tip, hard to keep still if you have to swat at your face every 15 seconds. Ha, one of the great things about having young kids, I always carry wet wipes with me.  On the job too, saved my no pun intended word more than once.  Oh, and have fun. :funnyturkey:

Brantley

I'm new to this site but it seems like you got some useful tips already. Not sure where your hunting or where the birds are in the breeding season there, but season kicked off before the birds were in full blown breeding here. If you're still seeing large flocks of mixed sex birds together then your season is ill timed as well. I'd recommend trying to roost some, follow the snow to seeps and look for sign. The birds roost over creeks, rivers and swamps where I am. Once you figure out what kind of habitat they prefer for roosting, go to them in the morning and listen or try to get a gobble from an owl hooter. Same in the evening. I don't put a lot of faith in owl or crow calls but they do work sometimes. Tree yelps a soft clucking work well too. Again, just my advice, but easier to bag an early season bird if u tuck him in to sleep at night and get in there bright and early to call him off the limb. Otherwise, he'll hen up pretty quick after fly down and if his girls aren't laying eggs yet, he won't leave them. Lastly, if you hear a hen, call to her. Get her to come in and maybe bring a Tom in with her. Gobbler yelping can work too and get him fighting mad in the early season- especially if u put out a hen and jake decoy. Hope this helps and get em to the gun! Good luck
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Snoodsniper

Public land  - wear a little fluorescent orange while moving even if it's not required.

JuniorPre 360

I'm hoping there won't me any mosquitos up top, but I'll take some spray or wipes just in case. Thanks for the advice about calling and what to look for to track down a turkey. Since it's public land, I tried to take time off to avoid the crowds and stay hunting them for 3 or 4 days all day. I was thinking of using a single hen or maybe 2 for decoys if needed. I'm not sure if my jake decoy would work too well if it's later in the season.

I forgot to mention that I had already patterned my gun. I got amazing results at 40 yards with my M3500 tipped with a Primos JellyHead shooting LongBeards 3 inch #5.

GobbleNut

Two questions for you:  Where are you hunting and what subspecies are you hunting for?

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 24, 2014, 04:45:35 PM
Two questions for you:  Where are you hunting and what subspecies are you hunting for?
Rio Grand and Merriam's in the mountains of Utah.

hunter-b

Cut your toenails your feet will love you for that