OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

(Updated) 3 Mississippi Public Land birds in 3 days!! Limited out!!!

Started by HoggleGobble, April 20, 2014, 06:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggleGobble

Well I have call this weekend at the paper mill I work at. I have an 8:30 meeting I have to go to, and last year I took advantage by tagging a double beard before my meeting at the public land right next to it. Well Friday I got this nice two year old to dance with me. Was actually hunting a bigger bird and I kept hearing pst.... Pst....

It kept getting closer and I said 'dang that sounds like a spit'..... Didnt think much of it after that cuz it was quite for about 5 mins.... Then I heard pst........... Vrroooommmmm.... For 5 minutes I could hear drumming but couldn't tell where. Then out of my peripherals I are him at 7 yards!!! Walks right in front of me and somehow I almost missed..... Walked back to truck and had an older gentlrman waiting on me. He said 'Nice Bird, you got lucky didn't you'. I kinda smirked and said yeah I guess so....

Next morning I pull up and his same truck is there.... I walk in, get on a bird, and he comes running!!! Smoked him within about 10 mins of fly down. I walked back out and his truck was still there. I left a feather and a piece of paper that said 'Got lucky again'. There were several cars this morning. I'm sure his blood is boiling by now. Two public land MS birds in two days ain't to shabby! I'm tickled if the season ended today. I have one last call day today so gonna try for a 3 day public land limit!!! It's a long shot, but if it happens, this guy will probably slit my tires on my honda civic! Lol. Today will be a great day, as this is the day he has risen!!!!! All glory and blessings are from him!!!! Hope everyone has a great Easter, and remember who suffered for us so that we can live again!!

Here is pic from the second bird. I caught him napping on this log so thought I would get a selfie with him hanging out!!

Updated
Well what a blessed weekend. Had to be on call Easter weekend but it ended like a never thought it would. I was kinda sad to have call Easter weekend as I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old, but it is what it is. The Easter bunny was coming but u had a meeting at 8:30 and u have an hr and a half drive every morning. Public land is only a couple miles from the mill. Anywho, killed a bird the first morning, then second morning, then got on this bird the third morning. Came in on a string once I went silent. He gobbled for a good thirty minutes on the ground as I could hear 2 other hunters calling two him. Smoked him at about 10 yards. 3 turkeys in 3 days on Public land feels AWESOME! The birds are on fire in Mississippi boys!! Even got to leave the mill early and the Easter bunny was behind so he actually came as my daughter was napping after church! I woke her up and said 'he I just saw the Easter bunny going down the road!!! Did he not see you this morning? She whimpered and said no.... I said 'Well I just saw him leaving down the road?'. She jumped up and ran in the den and couldn't believe be came. It was just as good or better than the morning... Poor baby girl had to suffer those few hours though but at least I got to see the smile on her face!!! Moral of the story, no matter how upset you may be because of something or circumstances you have, everything happens for a reason and God always has a plan for you even if you may not see it.  Have a great week!!!

What's up with these turkeys sleeping while letting me take pics? (My wife thinks I have problems.... That's debatable)

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Spitten and drummen

Congrats! I do all my hunting on public land in ms. You did exceptional. They are tough.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RutnNStrutn

2 birds in 2 days is tough anywhere, but especially on pressured public land. Love the 2nd pic. Congrats!!!

Sent from my 1950's rotary phone using Tapatalk

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

boomer

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

FullChoke

Hardest birds in the country to hunt - Mississippi public land birds at the end of the season. Congratulations on a great accomplishment.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

congrats on a tough accomplishment anywhere
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

captin_hook

Way to go. That guy is gonna be steaming! Lol

WillH

Dan Mallia

JALA Strut

tomstopper