OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rhino 660 and 535 question

Started by Onpoint, April 19, 2014, 09:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

Traded a guy out of a 535 today ei th 22" barrel. It has a 660 2" rhino in it. I shot the gun with 3" turkwy thug 5's and it shot terrible. 3.5" hv 5's shot terrible. The 3" longbeard 5s shot pretty damn good. I'm guessing 130 maybe. My sumtoy choke in my baikal single shot shoots the longbeards better though. Is the rhino not really a lead choke?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Onpoint

There is no ammo around anywhere. Everything has been bought up except dome winchester xx "red shell" and some turkey thug 4s. Even all the hevi shot is gone except for a few boxes of mag blends and some old winchester extended range 4's. I like to shoot lead 5s out of my 12's and heavyweights out of the 20. I've got 3 other 12's that do great with lead 5's and one that throws a mean patter of longbeard 4s.  I shoot the thugs and longbeards out of then other 3. They are through jelllyhead and sumtoy chokes. I'm not even sure I'm going to keep this gun but if I csn get the trigger half way decent and get it to shoot lead 5s then i probably will.  I like the light weight.

If anybody wants a rhino 660 and you have a good choke for trade this might be your chance to get one. Also I have a ff3 on my baikal single shot 12. It s a 5.25 lb gun that will rock your world. That gun flat out kicks. I hate shootin it. It's drilled for a 336 base. I csnt decide if I want to put a scope on it and the ff3 on the mossy or leave it like it is and put a scope on the mossy. It'd be simpler to put the scope on the mossberg since it's already drilled and tapped for a base and the baikal is drilled for the 336. Reason I was wanting to put the ff3 on thr mossy is to keep the weight down as much as possible. I could add 2 scopes to that baikal and it'd still be a featherweight.

Opinions on this would be great.

Dtrkyman

That choke is tight, try some 6s, mine shot any heavier than lead 6s fantastic, fyi that is a 100 dollar choke so keep that in mind on trades. Longbeard 6s would work great I bet if you could find some! Mag blends would do well I think but the flight control federal stuff will not.  Have you checked poi at close range? I shoot at like five yards and make sure it is shooting straight!

Onpoint

Believe it or not 3" longbeard 4s were the magic shells for this combo.  Didn't shoot 5's worth a damn. Haven't even tried 6s yet. I just happen to have a few LB 4's that William suggested i try in a single shot he built for me. They went 154 in the 10.
The 3.5" HV 4'S came in at around 100 average and a 114 best. I'm gonna try some 3" turkwy thug 4s this week too. I wanted to try the 3.5" thug 4s but they were sold out. I may try to find a box of 3.5" LB 4's just to see how they do but I'm going to be hunting with the 3". Less kick, cheaper, i csn shoot em in my other gun. It shoots great with them too. I'm also going to stock up on 3.5" HV 4'S and if the thugs shoot good I'll stock up on them too. I already have a nice stash of thug 5's, but they shoot awful out of this gun. Shoot great out of my baikal single shot though. This is going to be my new go to gun though. Don't kick nearly as bad.

Huntaholic

Late to the game and the discussion, but if that gun is overbored like the 835s are, ANY 660 is too tight IMO.