OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dave Owens (Covehunter) CA Rio Hunt

Started by TRKYHTR, April 19, 2014, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Dave came to CA to hunt with me and kill a CA Rio, trying to kill a turkey in every state. We were on turkeys yesterday and had an incident with 3 Jakes who knocked over my stuffer decoy and tore her up and put her into retirement. Today we got set up on some roosted turkeys but they flew the wrong way and we messed with them for awhile. We finally struck a turkey about a mile away. We kept him gobbling until we went as far as we could go. Within no time this big gobbler had climbed a mountain, crossed a fence, and a creek, across a bottom and up the other side 20 yards. I spotted the turkey to the left and Dave was pointed to the right. I whispered he was to the left but Dave didn't move. I looked back and then whispered a little louder and he heard me that time and then he was turning his gun to shoot. A few steps later the gobbler took a load of Hevi 13 #7. 20 lbs, 9 3/4" beard, 1 1/8" hooked spurs. Enjoy the video.

Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzZJN1ggTEs&feature=youtu.be
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Shellwaster

Way to go Dave and Joe. Glad to see a Georgia boy laying the smack down cause this one ain't been able to make it happen yet.

tjh24

That is a gorgeous bird and looks like a picture perfect area to kill a bird!

Rokhal07

Rio Fan

Beautiful bird and great photos.  Congrats!  :icon_thumright:

land cruiser

DirtNap647

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on a nice double team guys!!

Sent from my 1950's rotary phone using Tapatalk

Publicland

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Dan Mallia

boomer

nitro

For those who don't know him, Dave Owens is one of the nicest young men you will meet.

Outstanding caller and a straight up turkey killer. He will probably break 100 career Gobblers this year which is a hell of a milestone. A testimony to his skill as a hunter.

Glad to see him check another state off of his goal for the 49 State slam.....

Proud of you Dave- no one deserves it more. :icon_thumright:
Royal Slam 2008

Shellwaster

Quote from: nitro on April 20, 2014, 11:16:39 AM
For those who don't know him, Dave Owens is one of the nicest young men you will meet.

Outstanding caller and a straight up turkey killer. He will probably break 100 career Gobblers this year which is a hell of a milestone. A testimony to his skill as a hunter.

Glad to see him check another state off of his goal for the 49 State slam.....

Proud of you Dave- no one deserves it more. :icon_thumright:

Andy, you're right about Dave being a great guy. I met up with him once while duck hunting on Guntersville and he and his buddies were very courteous and helpful. I knew he was a turkey' worst nightmare but didn't know he would reach that 100 bird milestone so quickly.