turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Closing the gap on gobbling Toms

Started by OntheDaily, April 19, 2014, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OntheDaily

Im having trouble getting Toms to come in close to my decoys. Seems as though they get about 80 yards and just pace back and forth out of range. It felt like I had 4 different Toms circling me.

I dont over call, and my decoys are fine. Any ideas?

jakesdad

Timber or field? I'd ditch the dekes and see what happens. They may be hanging up wanting the hens to come to them

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Spring_Woods

Are you hunting flat or hilly terrain?

Field birds are tough. What I like to do is put a rise in between me and the bird. That a way he has to at least periscope his neck out to see what's going on on the other side of the hill. Make sure when he sees you he's in gun range.

If you're hunting flats, get in there extra early and setup closer to the roost or a strut zone.

That's just how I'd approach it. Ymmv
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

steveo

X2 with jakesdad they may be playing hard to get ! Ditch the coys and let them work/ search for the hen !!! Don't over call and keep it low if birds in sight.

OntheDaily

Thanks for the info!

@Spring_Woods , its hilly with timber. I was sitting on top of a ridge and could hear the Toms below. My Decoy was set up about 30 yards down the hill, hoping they would come up from below into range.

Ill ditch the decoys and go from there. Thanks guys.

appalachianstruttstopper

I typically never use decoys in the woods, and if I do, it  is usually a lone jake or a lone looking hen. If I have a turkey to skirt my decoys, the dekes become back pads!

Nick8403

I'd ditch the decoy and slip farther down the ridge and try to get in the bottom