OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Whats your favorite SS Box call ???

Started by nyhunter, April 16, 2014, 05:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

Tell Me what your favorite SS box call is and  what does it sound like? " raspy, clear,etc.etc"

What I'm looking for Is a pronounced 2 not yelp that starts high and ends raspy . 

drum817

I have seven SS box calls at this point....the one that sounds the most like your description is my purple heart over maple one sider.  You should just give Al a call and tell him the sound you're looking for....he will have some suggestions to get you exactly the sound you're after.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

MikeStaten

I've got a maple over mahogany from SS that starts high and finishes nice and raspy.  As mentioned before, I'd give Al a call and tell him exactly what you are looking for. 

letinmfly

I like all of my SS calls but if I had to pick I would say Maple over Mahogany, Zebrawood over Mahogany and Kwila over Butternut.  If you really like a high front end go with Cherry over Sassafras.

If you talk with Al he'll set you up exactly with what you're looking for.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

WillowRidgeCalls

I like Al's canary/black limba combo, it has that mid-tone start that ends with a raspy chatter. Talk with AL, he'll set you up best with what your looking for.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Spitten and drummen

European beech over cedar is my pick. I also have a canary over butternut. One thing about those ss box calls, they all roll over nice and finish raspy. At least the 4 i have do
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

R.W. Mackey

My favorite SS Box is my next one, in the mail now. I have 5 of Al's boxes and two scratchers, all
Full of feathers. You can't go wrong with any one of them.

RW
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

hunter22

I have several box calls from the SS boys and my favorite is a Cherry over Spanish Cedar. It just has that sound I really like.

TauntoHawk

Al won't sell a call that doesn't have awesome roll over, and all his calls will finish in some rasp. Obviously woods like purpleheart and cedar will have a more barky rasp. While maple, cherry, and butternut will run higher and cleaner but still finish strong.

I have a Kwila over Limba box that's sounds great. My next one will be either cherry/butternut or a maple/butternut combo 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mossyoakpro

Looks like you all are gonna cost me some more money!!  I may just have to have one of the SS boxes since I am a boxcall guy.

I may give them a ring in a few days and get the process started....
Phillippians 4:13

REBELYELL

I asked for the same type of sound and Al made me a maple over mineral stained poplar. He nailed it too.

weave

My first ever SS will be in the mail on Monday.   This is one beautiful call and when I first saw it, I had to have one.  Al hooked me up and made my dream into a reality.

Cannot wait to run it.

Dark Poplar and Maple

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Spitten and drummen

Yeah, al and josh make some of the best sounding box calls out there without a doubt. That is a beautiful call and i sure would like you to share what it sounds like when you get it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE