turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WA Opening Day Double Beard!!

Started by jblackburn, April 15, 2014, 01:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

It finally arrived today!  As daylight broke, there were 8 birds gobbling.  Pretty sure it was 5 gobblers and 3 jakes.  It was a quick hunt, but kind of odd.  I had three gobblers close enough that I could hear drumming, but they would not commit to coming in.  They kept flying back and forth across the bottom, from hill to hill.  They gobbled good for about an hour, then it went silent. Suddenly, one gobbled at a hen cutting. I look up and 9 hens are flying at me!  They land about 30 yards out and are unsure about the decoys.  I thought the jig was up, but they calmed down, and began feeding.

In the back of the opening, I see a gobbler emerge from the creek, about 90 yards away.  He completely skirts me to join some of the hens.  Then, two more gobblers and a jake come out and come toward me, once they come around a fallen tree, they bum rush my jake decoy and send him flying!  I let them beat on him a bit, and finally this one got clear from his buddies. 

Winchester 3 1/2 XX 6's at 20 yards did the trick!

It was a cool bonus to see a second beard!  This is my first multi bearded bird!

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

boomer

Gooserbat

Well Done Good Buddie!!!  Glad you finally got that double beard you've been talking about.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 15, 2014, 02:45:42 PM
Well Done Good Buddie!!!  Glad you finally got that double beard you've been talking about.

Thanks!

Once you finally killed that triple bearded one, I figured even I could get one with more than one beard!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

JALA Strut

Nice bird...Congrats!  I'm still hoping for my first double bearded bird

DirtNap647

KYFrid

Quote from: JALA Strut on April 15, 2014, 03:08:18 PM
Nice bird...Congrats!  I'm still hoping for my first double bearded bird

Same here... Congrats on a nice one!   :z-guntootsmiley:

captin_hook

WillH

JVA54

darn2ten

tomstopper