turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My complaint about some hunters

Started by turkey buster, April 14, 2014, 04:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

I am reposting this from a reply I sent on another topic. I'm not calling anyone out personally but a little knowledge will solve a lot of hunters problem. I get tired of people bashing a shell because it don't hit where they point their bead....my post....

Most every shell will have different point if impacts from other shells. With today's technology and these tight chokes you really need some aftermarket sighting system. I see way too many people on here judge a shell poorly because it don't hit where they aim. Buy tight shooting shells and chokes and your gonna have these problems. I'd like to know how many turkeys are killed with a 1/4 of the pattern even hitting close because the hunters don't even know!

Don't bash the shells people. Do your homework and set your gun up to hunt ethical

mudhen

Quote from: turkey buster on April 14, 2014, 04:22:02 PM
I am reposting this from a reply I sent on another topic. I'm not calling anyone out personally but a little knowledge will solve a lot of hunters problem. I get tired of people bashing a shell because it don't hit where they point their bead....my post....

Most every shell will have different point if impacts from other shells. With today's technology and these tight chokes you really need some aftermarket sighting system. I see way too many people on here judge a shell poorly because it don't hit where they aim. Buy tight shooting shells and chokes and your gonna have these problems. I'd like to know how many turkeys are killed with a 1/4 of the pattern even hitting close because the hunters don't even know!

Don't bash the shells people. Do your homework and set your gun up to hunt ethical

Very good post, very good!

This is not wingshooting, these are tight chokes and special shells.

Shells change from batch to batch.

Chokes cannot be identical most likely, same for the seating & threading on every choke & shotgun.

A person can learn a lot from a large piece of paper and a small dot to aim at...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

the Ward

Read thru the post you were referring to, didn't read anything that sounded like shell bashing. Unless you consider comments on how tight of patterns members were getting as "bashing"? I would guess  that the majority of the members here pattern their guns pretty extensively and know exactly where they hitting, as evidenced by the posts on that thread. We don't need  round 2 of "the great shell controversy" to get started again, lol!  But you are correct about the need to pattern as chokes/loads can and will shoot differently.      :z-twocents:

lowoctane

When I pattern a gun,  I shoot multiple chokes for  the load(s) I'm looking at. I take my paper targets home to decide on what works the best for me and then I post the ones I like. I then go out and sight in my gun to that load.
Don't like spending all that time and money only to miss a shot in the Turkey woods... :z-guntootsmiley:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lakeplainshunter

Quote from: lowoctane on April 14, 2014, 06:24:53 PM
When I pattern a gun,  I shoot multiple chokes for  the load(s) I'm looking at. I take my paper targets home to decide on what works the best for me and then I post the ones I like. I then go out and sight in my gun to that load.
Don't like spending all that time and money only to miss a shot in the Turkey woods... :z-guntootsmiley:

+1 that is exactly what I do

Longshanks

I consistently run into this with HTL. However, I can take Kicks chokes and shoot most lead loads through them with the same POA/POI. Good results with Pure Gold as well with stable POA/POI. LB's out of any setup is another story. The LB's shoot way high out of my guns. The worst problems I have had reeling a gun in with sights is with Nitro. In my opinion if you shoot the same kind of shell(same components) out of the same gun with only different lot numbers..there could be more problems than just the shells if the POA/POI is off. That being said 4 of my turkey guns have sights on them to adjust the POA/POI or help with tight patterns. I have one that shoot beads. The one with beads shoots all the Win lead shells dead on. (Rem 870sm/ventilator .655)

wibirdhunter

If a setup won't hit where it should with just a bead I change the choke of shells until it will.

If the barrel is off no matter what it's gone.

My newest gun is an a400 xtreme with a patternmaster and longbeard shoot very slightly low not enough to matter, other winchester 3.5 shoot right on.

Small reflex sites are pretty sweet but I just prefer to keep it simple.

turkey buster

Quote from: the Ward on April 14, 2014, 04:53:01 PM
Read thru the post you were referring to, didn't read anything that sounded like shell bashing. Unless you consider comments on how tight of patterns members were getting as "bashing"? I would guess  that the majority of the members here pattern their guns pretty extensively and know exactly where they hitting, as evidenced by the posts on that thread. We don't need  round 2 of "the great shell controversy" to get started again, lol!  But you are correct about the need to pattern as chokes/loads can and will shoot differently.      :z-twocents:

The post I was referring to was right above mine. He said they shot high and right and didn't try them with a different choke yet. Now he wasnt really bashing the shell but it seemed to me he was making his decision over the differene in his poa/poi instead of adjusting it to see what his numbers really would be. I really don't wanna go back through every single post I've read on here of people downing Shells over this. I know we've all see them . 

turkey buster

Quote from: duckkillerclyde on April 14, 2014, 08:49:10 PM
Quote from: turkey buster on April 14, 2014, 04:22:02 PM
set your gun up to hunt ethical

Ethical to you or ethical to me?   There is a reason why they are called ethics.

All ethical means to me is knowing I've got the most shot I can get into the vitals of a target, and not 3/4 of it in any direction with a chance of wounding him. None of us aim at the guts of a deer because it's a bigger target. We take the time to place a good clean ethical shot and a turkey deserves the same. I go to a church with a guy who was complaining to me Sunday because he's shot or shot at 6 birds this year and only killed one and admitted to serveral being wounded. When I asked had he checked his pattern his answer was " yea I got a few holes in the target at 50 steps" no telling which direction his pattern actually hits and what he's doing to these birds

the Ward

Quote from: turkey buster on April 15, 2014, 01:21:07 PM
Quote from: the Ward on April 14, 2014, 04:53:01 PM

The post I was referring to was right above mine. He said they shot high and right and didn't try them with a different choke yet. Now he wasnt really bashing the shell but it seemed to me he was making his decision over the differene in his poa/poi instead of adjusting it to see what his numbers really would be. I really don't wanna go back through every single post I've read on here of people downing Shells over this. I know we've all see them . 
10-4 on that.  No disrespect meant toward ya!

Gooserbat

And That's why I use one or maybe two shells and I have adjustable sights on my gun.  If it need corrected before season I move it. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bamagtrdude

Turkey Buster - I've sent you a PM.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

GomerPyle

I saw the post and he wasn't bashing anything...he simply said he tried the shells in 2 different setups and got poor results in both.  If I try a shell that doesn't perform, I'm going to try other shells before I'm going to spend money on a scope/red dot sight...believe it or not, some people don't like to use non-bead sights on a shotgun for turkeys.  sure, you're more accurate at a target, but when you're shooting something that can and often does move, it helps to have peripheral vision.

So, all that is to say, chill out...dude wasn't bashing the beloved Longbeard shells, only saying they didn't work for him.  and there's no need to bash him over it
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

turkey buster

I am publicly appologizing to bamagtrdude as I did in a pm. I wasn't trying to signal him out or be little him personally. As I told him my only point was to advise others how to pick the best shell and judge the best shell for your gun and it is not picking the one that hits where you want. The best shell is the one that gives you the best pattern that you are happy with even if that means moving the pattern.

I did clarify in my post he wasn't bashing the shell but I just gave his post after being called out from where I got my info as an example of how some people call something bad when in deed it might not be.

Once again I appologize To him if i made him seem any less of a great turkey hunter that I'm sure he is. I was just venting my opinion on judging our ammo

turkey buster

Ok guys I wasn't trying to drag him through the mud. I did say
1) I wasn't gonna call anyone out. I did after I guess I went below myself when I was called out on what was said. It wasn't just his one post I was referring to
2) I did say he wasn't bashing the shell but I did say I didn't agree with his desiccant on why not to use them. That's been discussed by us and it's not as big as it seems to y'all
3) I wasn't doing the ford vs chevy approach at shells. Yes I shoot LB and yes he was referring to them, but like I told him I can't count the post I've read on here where shell x is better than shell y because one hits where I want. Your better shell is your best pattern. If a hunter finds a shell that hits where he wants and it's a good killing pattern then hunt it. May not be the best but it's good enough.   
4) please no more PM's from anyone other than him  :lol: :thanks:

Good luck and go kill some turkeys