turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

On the flat, or in the hollar?

Started by Xcal1ber, April 09, 2014, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xcal1ber

Ok guys, opening day here in KY is this Saturday, and I have a bird pegged for that morning. I live in Southeast Kentucky, so the terrain is mountainous. If anyone of you hunts the mountains, then you should know what an oak flat is, and what a hollar is. For those that doesn't know, an oak flat or flat in general is a big flat space that sits half way up the mountain. A hollar is a gap that sits between and seperates two mountains. Ok so this bird roosts on the flat, and at about 9:00 he will meander his way down into the back of the hollar to strut. Just for fun I was seeing how you all would set up on this bird? I usually take the high road when hunting mountain birds, but my gut is telling me to just stay down in the hollar and try to call him to a place he's already coming to. So should I sit on the flat to try to call him off the roost, or should I stay down low in the hollar (which I rarely ever do) and call and try to wait on him?? I have an idea of what I am going to do, but just for fun I figured I'd give us something to do lol.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

WV Ridge Reaper

You know some people will say you can't call a bird down or down in a hollar...First bird I ever called in came right down to the hollar and started up the other side where his day was ended.

If it was me I would be down in the hollar.

TBab

As we predicted my friend. I vote being in the back of that hollar just before daylight and wait ol boy out. He was doing it yesterday morning, more than likely he will be doing it saturday morning and catch a beak full of those #6's.
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

Bigspurs68

Be where he wants to be. I wouldn't make a peep to him until he's there with ya unless he changes his plans.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Xcal1ber

I agree with you guys. I believe I'm gonna go against the grain of hunting the hills and set up below this gobbler. It'll be a spot he should visit anyways. Probably be really methodical and non aggressive with my calling. Stick to the purrs and clucks. Keep the opinions coming on how you all would handle this situation. 
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

Erno86

I would tend to speculate...that if their is a crik or stream in the hollar --- all the more better for you to set-up there --- because it might make more open area's for his strut zone; due to floods an whatnot. Not to mention that the hens love to take there first born chicks down to an easy stroll for their first drink of water.

TnRidgeRunner

In all honesty, every fiber of my being says be above him or at least on his level of that hill...that being said, if I knew he'd taken the downhill path I'd be sitting between him and where he wanted to be. But I'm also betting you've already got this figured out  :funnyturkey:

ridgerunner

If you're down in the holler calling, the bird will go up high to try and see the hen calling.. He might have been there yesterday, but if he hears a hen calling down there he would likely go to a high spot for an better vantage point where he can see and where the hen could see him. I'd need a few days of scouting to prove sitting in the holler strategy would work..If after a few days the bird consistently likes the holler as a strut zone, that's where I'd be....but typically a tom likes to go high for a good vantage point and to be seen...birds are individuals so nothing is 100% in turkey hunting...but I'd wager 9 out of 10 birds would go up the mountain to try and see the hen he hears calling down low...My bet is calling him uphill would be the ticket

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: Xcal1ber on April 10, 2014, 11:27:44 AM
I agree with you guys. I believe I'm gonna go against the grain of hunting the hills and set up below this gobbler.

I have been hunting Blue Ridge mtns for nealrly 30yrs, I would say 90% of the birds I have killed here I called down hill. It would take several hours to try and get above the birds I hunt and I learned real quick that a turkey can walk, strut, slip, fall and run down any hill there is around here. The down hill myth has saved alot of birds around these mountains because "you hafta git above 'em".

goosetalk

I don't hunt in the mountains, but I do hunt in some big hardwoods with steep ravines.  We kill a bird on the same flat every year.  The birds like to roost high on the ridges, and make their way down to the flat or on to the fields.  Are success is due to being where they want to go so that's my advice.  If we wants to go there, you should be there.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on April 11, 2014, 12:16:18 PM
Quote from: Xcal1ber on April 10, 2014, 11:27:44 AM
I agree with you guys. I believe I'm gonna go against the grain of hunting the hills and set up below this gobbler.

I have been hunting Blue Ridge mtns for nealrly 30yrs, I would say 90% of the birds I have killed here I called down hill. It would take several hours to try and get above the birds I hunt and I learned real quick that a turkey can walk, strut, slip, fall and run down any hill there is around here. The down hill myth has saved alot of birds around these mountains because "you hafta git above 'em".

Ssshhhhh

Bigspurs68

I totally agree with the myth of having to be above a bird in big hills. I'm sure sevral of had birds nearly roll into our laps after the shot. Sometimes it makes me wonder how they strut without rolling off. Lol. I hope it works out with that bird and you have a great spring.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

cohuttariverrat

Early season I have had way to many hens lead ole tom away from me once I start calling. If your dead set on that bird I say for sure put him to sleep night before then set up in between him and strut zone. If your in that holler and ole miss hen slips in before he gets to the holler you may be disappointed. If he hangs up on the flat then you could slip away calling as you head to his strut zone holler hoping to reel him in

BigAL64

Go to the strut zone and wait him out. NO calling!!
Shoot em in the face

DirtNap647