OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke tube help

Started by Amoz87, April 09, 2014, 05:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amoz87

Hey guys, new member here. I'm just starting to get into turkey hunting a little more seriously. I'm finding things a little overwhelming. Especially when it comes to choke tubes/constriction/shot size. Right now I have an beretta a400. I want to get a good choke. I'm hunting in NY if that makes a difference. I want to have the option of shooting hevi-shot. From what I understand not all chokes can handle it. That being said. Does anyone have any recommendation on chokes and constriction? Thanks for your help

CrustyRusty

Rhino choke .660 is a good choke for that gun with hevi 6 or 7's.   They are expensive but very well made and historically do well with Italian guns.

allaboutshooting

First of all welcome to OG. We're glad you're here and hope you'll be here often, sharing your experiences and hopefully some of us can be of help to you.

It can be a bit overwhelming with the various choices of chokes and shells that are available to you today. I understand.

You have an excellent shotgun. I don't know your barrel length but Beretta bores are normally very good, slick and straight. Maybe the first choice for you is the shell that you'd like to shoot.

I find that the 3" Hevi-13 shells are the most consistent and effective ones on the market today. They will deliver killing patterns out to 40 yards time and time again. They are available in both #6 and #7 shot. I much prefer the #6 shot but the #7s are also excellent.

There is also the Magnum Blend shell from Hevi-Shot that combines shot sizes. Many shooters like them as do I but I much prefer the standard load.

Chokes: There are frankly a variety that work well. I try to shoot all of them and see what works best in my guns and also listen to my readers to learn what works best for them.

I would encourage you to consider the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke in your gun. It's a very well made choke tube and does very well in Beretta barrels. There are others of course but this is the one that gets the nod more than anything else in those guns.

Again, welcome and all my best to you in the turkey woods this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Browning A5

I shoot a Browning A5 I just bought a trulock  .665 turkey choke to shoot the longbeards with 4s and at 40 yards I was putting my pellets in the size of a basketball. This chokes are good for all shot except steel if you call them they help you set up the best choke for your gun and shot. If the pattern is not what you want send it back and they will send you another to try. Happy hunting.

learn2hide

welcome both of you!   :welcomeOG:

not much more to say, just be sure to pattern your gun on a large sheet of paper first so you can look at the whole thing, use that information to pick a shell/choke combo then get your sights right...if you're just using beads the gun it should be close but shells/chokes can change impact points, as long as you don't assume anything you'll find something that works.
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

eman375

Welcome aboard!  As you well know, each individual shotgun and choke tube combination is unique unto itself.  What may be the holy grail to one may be holy crap to the next.  That said, and given your choice of Hevi-Shot loads, I'm in agreement with Allaboutshooting.  The Hevi-Shot choke tube was engineered for the shells and is usually as safe a bet on a tube/shell combination as you're going to find.  But, some of us like to experiment and can't leave well enough alone.  If you're one of those, the combinations are endless and you may find a better combination but not by much.  Have fun and good luck in your search.

learn2hide

Quote from: eman375 on April 11, 2014, 01:03:29 AM
But, some of us like to experiment and can't leave well enough alone.  If you're one of those, the combinations are endless and you may find a better combination but not by much. 

:agreed:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

d.winsor

Amoz87 when you pattern your gun use a rifle rest, set a target at 12 yards away and put a 1" square in the middle of it.  Shoot a 2 3/4" shell at the 1" square.  Put up another target adjust your sights to hit the 1" square with your next shot.  Shoot as many times as necessary to shoot out the 1" square.  After you shoot out the 1" square move your target to 40 yards.  Use a 36 x 36" paper target and put a 1" square in the middle of it.  Shoot your turkey loads now.  Use as many targets as necessary to place the densest part of your pattern over the 1" square.  This procedure will save you a lot of Recoil from heavy turkey loads and money as you won't have to use so many turkey loads.  Good Luck

SumToy

665 Should fix you up just fine.  You have a few to pick from now I kind of have one I like more then others.  :toothy12:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA