OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3.5 vs 3" ?

Started by Hitman 23, April 08, 2014, 09:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitman 23

Jus finished adjusting my poa to poi with dove shot and threw a couple 3.5 down the pipe and it punished my shoulder. Is it really worth the recoil compared to the 3 in.  Been a long time since I had to pattern a new gun. Never notice it when slamming a Gobbler

MKMGOBL

Whichever load gives to the best pattern :icon_thumright: I've got the Winchester Longbeard XR loads in 3.5 & in 3" just waiting for a nice day.
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

d.winsor

Past makes a shoulder pad that dampens the recoil of a 3 1/2" shell, or any shell for that matter.  For patterning there is nothing like it, your shoulder won't hurt when you are done.  I have used one (the same one) since 1992.  Well worth the money.

TrackeySauresRex

The only reason I shoot 3-½s is because they don't come in 4's  :funnyturkey: I don't do to much patterning any more unless I buy a new shell. Then I will borrow my buddies lead sled. I'm glad we never feel that recoil when shootin at game. My Sims pad and comb cushin has tamed my ol mossy down a bit. A lot of folks are doing well with the 3z here. If they pattern well.. have at it. Check out the pattern board.  :anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

BigStrutter

Quote from: Hitman 23 on April 08, 2014, 09:32:35 PM
Never notice it when slamming a Gobbler

Neither have I, so shoot the 3.5's.  ;D
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

alclark2

Many of birds have been killed over the years with smaller shells. BUT. I go 3.5" also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

learn2hide

I can shoot 3.5's delivering a bigger payload so I do...if I wasn't getting the pattern I wanted I wouldn't hesitate to shoot 3".  Good luck this year.   :fud:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

BandedSpur

Dtrkyman

A while back when the white hull hevi shot was around I got a new Benelli and decided to pattern it. After a few 3.5 inchers which are not too bad in the sbe2 I threw in a hevi 3 inch, when I fired it I thought it was a dud, to my surprise the pattern at 40 was not far off the 3.5 stuff.

Any load I have tried through that benelli will kill at 40 so I will stick with three inch If I ever buy new shells, down to only 2 of the white hulls but someone gave me some reduced recoil mag blend so I will move to that eventually. I still have some 3.5 Rem. hevi and some Win. extended range!

wibirdhunter

That's a question only you can answer.

For me I always buy 3.5 when buying turkey loads. In my 870 wingmaster the recoil was pretty harsh but I don't shoot off the bench and I don't shoot a ton of turkey loads on paper. My new beretta a400 isn't bad on recoil at all but again I shoot standing up when patterning.

Dallen92

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 08, 2014, 11:02:45 PM
The only reason I shoot 3-½s is because they don't come in 4's  :funnyturkey:

:z-winnersmiley:

you beat me too it thats how I feel about it but I will say that my gun shoots each size well but I just tend to lean toward shells with more shot.

WildSpur

Hahaha!   I was thinking the same thing.  I couldn't find a 4 either!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

lowoctane

My 870 SM likes the 3" better, so that ended the 3.5 dilemma for me... :icon_thumright:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

gwa

I had about 70 more hits with the 3.5's over the 3's

tomstopper

If my gun can eat a 3.5 & with good results, than that is what I prefer to feed it......