OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

LBL birds !

Started by X-Tennessean, April 08, 2014, 03:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-Tennessean

For the life of me I cant figure these lbl birds out...im used to hunting river bottoms and not these canyons ! I have not had to much trouble finding birds but getting them to commit or finish is my problem.
Hunted youth quota with my nephew and had two come down the ridge opposite of us silent, they started up our side but took the wrong side of the ditch and would not cross it.....walked off !
This morning on my quota not a gobble on the roost, finally had one to answer me a LONG ways off and I wasnt sure it was a gobble until he answered me again ! I wait, he gobbles so I cut him off....we play back and forth and in no time he is on the ridge across from me but I still cannot see him. I only cluck n purr and scratch the leaves at this point and he never makes another sound !! 30 minutes go by with no evidence so I yelp again with nothing in return...sat there till noon  and never heard another sound.

Should I have moved closer when he gobbled the first time then tried working him the rest of the way ?
I wish thats what I would have tried but I was betting the bank on this bird as fast as he covered ground to get to me !
Hate these hills and canyons ! Lol
Any advice ? Still got one more day !

turkey_slayer

Always get as close as you can if possible. The less he has to travel the more likely he will commit. Sometimes ya can't and you have to try to call him ridge to ridge, down the ridge, ect. There's days tho I never even call cause I feel I can't get in a killing position. Biggest problem I see here is guys call as soon as they hear the bird and if he has hens that's a sure way to lose em cause they can walk hills a lot faster than we can :D  it also lets him know where you are and I don't want that till I can get in the right setup. Lots of times I will get on a gobbling bird but it may be 2 hours before I try to work him. Mtn birds can travel far but not like what I have seen in flat land. I like to be within 100 yards if possible.

X-Tennessean

Thank u Slayer ! Makes sense

TnRidgeRunner

2x on Turkey_Slayer... From my experience I've learned to love hunting steep terrain. Like stated before, wait to make you calls until you have a good set. Use the terrain to your advantage. By staying just below the ridgeline (on the opposite side of the same hill) you can get really close to a bird before you set up. It's ok if he hears you walking in (Hens make noise when they walk), I've actually had birds come check out what walked up (me) without making a single call. Just move slow (think about how a turkey moves through the woods) and be patient getting set up and you will get em. Good luck, and wear you walking boots.  :turkey2:

ridgerunner

Quote from: X-Tennessean on April 08, 2014, 03:56:41 PM
For the life of me I cant figure these lbl birds out...im used to hunting river bottoms and not these canyons ! I have not had to much trouble finding birds but getting them to commit or finish is my problem.
Hunted youth quota with my nephew and had two come down the ridge opposite of us silent, they started up our side but took the wrong side of the ditch and would not cross it.....walked off !
This morning on my quota not a gobble on the roost, finally had one to answer me a LONG ways off and I wasnt sure it was a gobble until he answered me again ! I wait, he gobbles so I cut him off....we play back and forth and in no time he is on the ridge across from me but I still cannot see him. I only cluck n purr and scratch the leaves at this point and he never makes another sound !! 30 minutes go by with no evidence so I yelp again with nothing in return...sat there till noon  and never heard another sound.

Should I have moved closer when he gobbled the first time then tried working him the rest of the way ?
I wish thats what I would have tried but I was betting the bank on this bird as fast as he covered ground to get to me !
Hate these hills and canyons ! Lol
Any advice ? Still got one more day !

It's not the canyons...it's the birds...hunted LBL many years...toughest birds in North America..keep calling to a minimum...most LBL birds I shot came in silent and like to play peek a boo

Dtrkyman

Great tip I use in hilly terrain, I hunt an area where birds like to come to a point just over a rise where they are really close but not exposed, I simply stand against the back side of the tree instead of sitting down. Worked several times.

I know this is not what has happened to you, but I bet it will!

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 08, 2014, 08:21:40 PM
Great tip I use in hilly terrain, I hunt an area where birds like to come to a point just over a rise where they are really close but not exposed, I simply stand against the back side of the tree instead of sitting down. Worked several times.

I know this is not what has happened to you, but I bet it will!

Good point. I kill quite a few like birds like that. Sometimes standing you can see  a good ways but sit down and can't see 15 yards. Also if a bird is in a bottom and I can find where a big tree has uprooted on side of the ridge I like to lay prone in it. Hides ya well and it's comfortable

ky turkey hunter

Yep less is more on lbl

Onpoint

Quote from: TnRidgeRunner on April 08, 2014, 06:07:45 PM
2x on Turkey_Slayer... From my experience I've learned to love hunting steep terrain. Like stated before, wait to make you calls until you have a good set. Use the terrain to your advantage. By staying just below the ridgeline (on the opposite side of the same hill) you can get really close to a bird before you set up. It's ok if he hears you walking in (Hens make noise when they walk), I've actually had birds come check out what walked up (me) without making a single call. Just move slow (think about how a turkey moves through the woods) and be patient getting set up and you will get em. Good luck, and wear you walking boots.  :turkey2:
This fella ans turkey slayer sound alot like me. I grew up hunting lbl. Killed alot I'd birds there by getting close and making just one cluck and wait him out. Probably killed just as many or more by getting close and never calling, just scratching the leaves.

Tough Birds but man it sure feels good to being as biggun out of there

strutnrut

less is more on LBL that's for sure.