turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stupid newbie question?

Started by Selluwud, April 07, 2014, 08:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selluwud

Can you, or is it wise , to shoot a turkey with a.22 rifle? I'm in coastal VA and am not sure about it.
5/4ths of people don't understand fractions

guesswho

I would recommend it, even if legal.   My personal opinion is that turkey hunting is a shotgun sport. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bbcoach

According to Virginia Firearms restrictions, rifles must be .23 caliber or larger.

Selluwud

:Dang, I was hoping for a head shot at 40 yds. I'm in swamp territory and rifles have to shoot from a 15 ft stand.

I think the .23 caliber rule is for deer and bear. here is a rule I copied and pasted:

Rifles (including air rifles) may be used for taking wild animals and wild birds, except migratory game birds and waterfowl, and where prohibited by local ordinances.

it's confusing.

bbcoach

Quote from: Selluwud on April 07, 2014, 08:40:58 PM
:Dang, I was hoping for a head shot at 40 yds. I'm in swamp territory and rifles have to shoot from a 15 ft stand.

I think the .23 caliber rule is for deer and bear. here is a rule I copied and pasted:

Rifles (including air rifles) may be used for taking wild animals and wild birds, except migratory game birds and waterfowl, and where prohibited by local ordinances.

it's confusing.
After reading further, it seems you are correct.  I would contact the Fish and Game to get a clarification.  See if you can find a contact page for them and send them an E-mail for clarification.

Selluwud

After reading further, it seems you are correct.  I would contact the Fish and Game to get a clarification.  See if you can find a contact page for them and send them an E-mail for clarification.
[/quote]

That's what I'm going to do. I am trying to impress a Navy Seal friend who probably could sneak up on a turkey and kill it with a knife. LOL. I am a pretty good shot and may give it a try. My grandfather once shot six doves sitting in a walnut tree with a silenced .22 rifle with a 9x target scope. After learning from his former mistake of starting at the top, he later started at the bottom and worked his way up killing six doves before the rest spooked and flew away. He was one of the best marksmen I've ever seen.

Selluwud

Just for the record, I heard back from a VDIGF (VA Dept of Inland Game and Fisheries) official and was told it is legal to shoot a turkey with a .22 cal rifle in area in which I live. Now, I need that turkey to hold his head still for just a few seconds. My Navy Seal friend has a legal .22 camo rifle with a silencer. This could be interesting.

Erno86

One possible bad occurrence with turkey head shots with rifles...is that you might just shoot the turkey's beak off, which would condemn the bird to starvation.

Selluwud