OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Owl called in...

Started by bamagtrdude, April 07, 2014, 05:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

So, this is multiple years in a row now that, as I'm starting off w/an owl hoot, an owl flies in & lands on a limb above my head!  Happened to me again this past Saturday; happened several times throughout the years on a particular spot, close to where turkeys roost on our land...

The one Saturday wasn't as big as the one from previous years, but ...  BIG ENOUGH!!  We just kinda stared at one another for a little while, and then I went to hoot again & he cranked it up!  :)  Man, they're so quiet when they fly in; I literally heard just a light little "ssswiish" as he lit on the limb, almost above my head, in a pine tree!!

For a plastic hooter (K&H), it must work pretty darn well...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

memert116

That's a bonus from Mother Nature..... :icon_thumright:

jblackburn

That's cool!  At least he did not crap on your head!  :toothy9:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Flydown

They have got to be the quietest flying bird out there!

bamagtrdude

Yes, they are super quiet!  Also, one good look at their claws, and you don't need much convincing of their "predator" status...
---

DirtNap647

MouthCaller

Used to happen to me all the time in Mississippi what's cool is calling in two and watching them hoot each other it lights a fire under those gobblers too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

spur collector

captpete

Quote from: jblackburn on April 07, 2014, 06:39:07 PM
That's cool!  At least he did not crap on your head!  :toothy9:

That was the first thing I thought also.

bamagtrdude

Nope, no poop - thankfully!!  :)
---

JALA Strut

Cool to see them that close!

TnRidgeRunner

I love it when that happens, beautiful creature to see up close. What I really love is when I can get two of em fired up...I let them go at it while I position myself on any bird that's gobbling without having to make a sound.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: TnRidgeRunner on April 08, 2014, 08:57:12 AM
I love it when that happens, beautiful creature to see up close. What I really love is when I can get two of em fired up...I let them go at it while I position myself on any bird that's gobbling without having to make a sound.

I like it when that happens, too!!
---

870FaceLift

Owls are my favorite animal in the woods for sure.  They have the coolest vocalizations and will communicate with each other and across ridges from quite far distances.

I was hunting over a clover patch last fall (deer opener) and I had two of them land in the limbs about 7-8 feet above my head.  They were obviously hunting the same patch I was, waiting for a rodent to enter the field.  They hung out for about the first hour of daylight and then flew into the hardwoods.  I was able to get great camera footage of them.  They didnt seem to mind me at all.

When I was growing up, we had a huge barn owl that would fly up to the horse barn and pick off kittens.  Population control at its finest!
Pass it on...

bamagtrdude

---