OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Illinois First Season in the rain

Started by ilbucksndux, April 07, 2014, 03:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

Well the day finally got here ! ! ! The alarm on my phone didn't go off this morning and I opened my eyes and saw it was daylight and woke up the wife with a storm of curse words. At 0645 I pulled up to where I wanted to hunt and heard one fire off as soon as I got out of the truck. I was moving extra slow and at my second sit the sky got dark,real dark and I just knew I was gonna end up soaked. I did sip on my old Columbia coat but its only good for about 4 hours in the rain. I moved 2 more times and had not heard a thing since I left the truck.By 10:00 it was not raining it was pouring. Luckily I had the tree umbrella stuffed in my vest and it was doing its job well. Since it was raining like it was I put out a jake and hen decoy and hunkered up on the edge of a small field on top of a ridge. At 10:40 I was wet and cold. I had no coffee this morning and in my rush I didn't grab my extra can of chew so I was getting pretty grouchy. I thought I heard something so I pulled my hood off and heard a faint Gobbbbbbllllle. Some crows fired of and I heard it again. With the 15 mph wind and rain I couldn't tell how far it was. I looked out in the field and saw a hen and she was NOT happy with the decoys. She walked up to the hen decoy and was yelping like crazy. She was determined to make them go away. The it thundered and the gobble was real loud that time. Got my gun on my knee and looked to my left and here he came running. He stopped at the decoys about 20 steps and started to strut. I cut hard so he would gobble and when he came out of strut I gave him a barrel of #5's. 30 seconds later I had my foot on his head.I look down and then I see 2 beards !

26 Pounds 1" and 1 1/4" spurs. One beard 9" the other 10"

Gary Bartlow

TJK68

Way to hang in there, great bird. Congrats!!!! :icon_thumright:

alloutdoors

Illini Tom

congrats on a great tom  :drool:
he'll have a heck of a score with those 2 paintbrushes  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

BigStrutter

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

DirtNap647

memert116

Sweet bird, way to hang in there.... :icon_thumright:

JALA Strut

spur collector

darn2ten

hookedspur

Congrats on the bird and sticking it out.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

renegade19

:icon_thumright:
that's a beast!  My buddy whacked one at 12:55.  Hopefully, my turn tomorrow. 

ilbucksndux

I just want to know why the bird was not as wet as I was.
Gary Bartlow

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

slamman