turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Questions from a noob

Started by gspn, April 07, 2014, 12:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspn

I went turkey hunting this weekend.  I'm really new to this...I've only been a few times.  So far this year there is no gobbling activity...I mean none.  Am I right in thinking this is because there are still so many un-bred hens that they don't have to do any gobbling?  My thinking is that as the hens become fewer and farther between they'll have to become more vocal and the competition will heat up.  Please let me know if I'm way off base on that.

Secondly, I had a hen come in to my calling one morning.  She pitched out of a tree nearby, sounding very much like a cinder block with wings, then made her way to the field I was on.  She stayed for about half an hour, walking right up to my decoys and hanging out around them.  She was just 20 yards from me most of that time.  Ultimately she got right up in front of the hen decoy I had out, looked at it for about 20 seconds, decided she didn't like it, and walked off the way she came in.  She didn't run...just walked and kept on walking until she was out of sight.  Is that normal? 

thx

Bob

yes, that's normal hen behavior, the lack of gobbling can be frustrating but not unusual.  Be patient.

Longshot

Are you hunting public or private land? Gobblers tend to get pretty tight lipped when they get pressured. I seem to do better in the second half of the season when there are fewer hunters in the woods and fewer willing hens around. I have killed most of my birds later in the mid-day hours when the hens have left the toms to go nest. It can be magic from 11:00-3:30 or so (if you can legally hunt them in the afternoon).

I have had hens do the same thing to my decoys many times. You are doing very well to stay hidden from a turkey only 20 yards away for that long. Stay after them. You will get one that wants to play.
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

gspn

Thanks guys.  I'm hunting a 900 acre block of private land that gets VERY little pressure...the pressure is almost non-existant. 

I'll keep going as much as I can and hope that it turns on soon.

Longshot

If you don't hear gobbling, hunt them where you have seen them or see their tracks. Put in the seat time and it will happen. Best of luck to you.
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

gspn

That's been my plan so far.  Since they weren't gobbling I figured I'd set up in one spot and wait for them to come to me.  If they aren't gobbling this weekend I'll make plans for a 4 hour sit on a good spot.

darn2ten

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Like what state? You've seen a hen, so you know there are turkeys in the area. Do some scouting and try to locate potentional roost sites. Also, as already mentioned, just because you don't hear anything early don't give up on the mid morning and mid day. This can be the best time to hunt. I'm in Tennessee and our birds are just now starting to break up out if bigger flocks. I'm expecting for things to get a little quieter for the next week or so and then get pretty good in about 2 weeks or so out.

gspn

dgporter17

I live and hunt in the Oxford area. My buddy and I doubled last week but the birds only gobbled four to five times on their way in. Last Monday I heard a hundred gobbles between 6:15-7:15. I went this morning and didn't hear any (probably due to the rain and wind) but saw seven jakes. I also had buddies go on public land in around Oxford last week and had one gobble a hundred times but never came in. The next morning they didn't hear a thing and it was clear and warm. You just never know; I've definitely seen/heard hot birds though in the area.
Benelli SuperNova - Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike .665 - Winchester Long Beard XR 3.5" 2oz 5s

memert116

Stay patient and you will great....