OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pacific Wonderland-

Started by duckkillerclyde, April 05, 2014, 09:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckkillerclyde

New guy here.  I've never killed a turkey but am going to give it a shot when the season opens.  Unfortunately I'm a weekend only type guy so I will miss opening day but will be hard at it come the weekend.  I've been racking up the miles driving all over WA and OR and bought a tag for OR.  I've ordered a few hundred dollars worth of junk from Cabela's and some of it's been showing up.  I can't wait to try it all out.  Headed out tomorrow to do some more scouting and I have a dentist appointment next Saturday followed by my final day of scouting, next Sunday.  Opener is the 15th. 

Here are a few duck pictures from this past season.

Skeeterbait

Welcome and good luck with your turkey hunting.  Look at all them green heads.  :icon_thumright:  I don't recognize the bottom duck, what is that?

TJK68

jblackburn

:welcomeOG:

I'm in Pullman, WA.  If you end up hunting up here, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you out.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

slamman

boomer

duckkillerclyde

Quote from: Skeeterbait on April 05, 2014, 10:08:12 PM
Welcome and good luck with your turkey hunting.  Look at all them green heads.  :icon_thumright:  I don't recognize the bottom duck, what is that?

Black brant or sometimes called a Pacific brant.

Here is a short video of me shooting them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImZxWwEo1ms

duckkillerclyde

Quote from: jblackburn on April 05, 2014, 10:12:43 PM
:welcomeOG:

I'm in Pullman, WA.  If you end up hunting up here, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Come to think of it, I don't know if my WA licence is good anymore.  I can't remember when they expire.  I always buy one but I've only ever hunted waterfowl in WA.     

I'll definitely take all the help I can get but hopefully I get them in OR since that's where I bought my tag and have been focusing my scouting.  I've never seen a BIG tom yet but lots of hens and some jakes. 

While scouting in south central OR two weeks ago I did find a Columbian white tail wearing a radio collar and a green ear tag!   I checked his ankles and he wasn't wearing a band.    (waterfowl joke)

Kilchis

Is pic 1 Memaloose, and what happened to that duck in pic 2?  It looks like you got it with an RPG!

Good luck this season!  I'm heading for the Ochocos on the 13th.

duckkillerclyde

Quote from: Kilchis on April 05, 2014, 11:46:13 PM
Is pic 1 Memaloose, and what happened to that duck in pic 2?  It looks like you got it with an RPG!

Good luck this season!  I'm heading for the Ochocos on the 13th.

There are two Memaloose in OR that I know of and it's at neither one.  That picture is from AP ramp.

Funny.   Maybe I'll see you in the Ochocos as that's were I was planning on heading today until my friend had to work.  I have a dentist appointment the twelfth and will be headed there the 13th.

duckkillerclyde

The duck in picture number two....

2 3/4" xpert 1 1/4 oz #2 Hevi-shot mod choke through a Beretta Onyx @ 10 yards

Here is a teal same load, same gun.  Sometimes I don't see them until they're too close.  I hate wasting an animal but I didn't do it on purpose. 

duckkillerclyde

Both birds were shot in flight. 

To the haters;
If the teal was sitting on the water, her wings would be missing primary feather when the shot went through her.  It's obvious that the wings on the teal were open when she was shot.

DirtNap647

Kilchis

Clyde, I wasn't being snarky about the bird in pic 2!  Ground-sluicing honestly did not cross my mind.  I just noticed that it's really, really, dead. ;D   

Back in the 60's I beheaded a butterball on one of those up-close surprise shots.  My buddies were really impressed with my skillful shooting, but truth be known, I was just as shocked as the duck when it flew into a cumulo-lead cloud.