turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi Shot #5, #6, #7... which one????

Started by turkeyhunter4life, April 04, 2014, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter4life

If you had the option of shooting any one of these shot sizes which would it be and why?  Any help would be great!!!

jfair

I don't shoot hevi anymore but if I did it would be the 6's.  Tried the 7's and had a bad experience on a bird with them.  Probably a great shell, but I can't get past it.  5's just don't seem to have the pattern density.  So....6's it is.  Got in the 180 -190's with them.

learn2hide

My set up throws over 200+ with 6s and 250+ with 7s killed birds with both sizes no issues.  Agree with jfair about 5s plenty of power but more than necessary so I prefer the smaller shot and extra pellets.  With Hevi vs Lead it's about 2 sizes. 5=3, 6=4, 7=5
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Grunt-N-Gobble

6 or 7's but I would lean toward the 7's because of the increase in pattern density.  They carry plenty of energy at normal hunting ranges.  Plus it never hurts to put more pellets into a gobblers head and neck.

buck_hunter21

I would go with 7 all day long. Awesome pattern.
Spill Blood

BandedSpur

Debatable between 6s and 7s, but I would forget about the 5s, way too much penetration at the expense of pattern density.

turkeyhunter4life

Thank you all for the feedback.  Much appreciated!

Gobble!

7s, I like the big numbers and have seen what these loads can do.

WyoHunter

Quote from: Gobble! on April 06, 2014, 12:11:29 AM
7s, I like the big numbers and have seen what these loads can do.
My Beretta likes them too!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Tom Foolery

#7's for me all day long. 

After seeing what they do to a bird from close to ranges past allowable on here and thats what I shoot from my 20 gauge, 12 gauge 3" and when I shot a 3.5" 12 gauge.

jdub2041

I shoot the 7s never had any issues

DirtNap647

budtripp

I don't think you can go wrong with either 6's or 7's.  I've been using 6's for the past few seasons and crumpled birds from 20 to 46 yards.  This season I shot the 7's and same results: crumpled birds at 35 and 25. I have a stockpile of the 6's so that's what I'll shoot in the future.

KyTurkeyHunter473

I used them for years in 3" before switching to LongBeards ( only because of the price ). I always shot 5s or 6s and had no problems on any turkey I shot with either. Sure, the 6s put more holes in the paper but I couldn't tell the difference when shooting ole Tom.