OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I've created a monster

Started by MouthCaller, April 03, 2014, 12:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

So the other day my dad in law says to me "hey if you don't care can I borrow your turkey hunting stuff so I can go I'll take care of it" I laughed and said yeah sure I don't care so I have him my gun decoys and vest and showed him where all my stuff in my vest is. Well he's called me every day telling me about chasing turkeys all over the mountains lol. Yesterday he must've moved in past them at daylight because he said when he got back to the truck they had been scratching the leaves by his truck toady he was telling me about seeing a strutter and a hen in a field. He's gonna get one on his own if he keeps it up he's almost got them pinpointed. I hope he gets one at the very least he's at least making sure nobody else moves in on our place like they have in the past. It's fun getting someone hooked on turkey hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

longbeard11

Definitely what its all about!! Good story line developing here!! hope he gets him one!

bamagtrdude

Quote from: MouthCaller on April 03, 2014, 12:47:15 PM
It's fun getting someone hooked on turkey hunting.

Yeah, it is.  A buddy of mine got into turkey hunting, and I spent a fair amount of time with him -- this week, he's shot his 3rd gobbler!!  Couldn't be more proud of him; he's an awesome turkey hunter!  :)
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

memert116

longbeard11

I had the blessing of taking one of my best buddies last spring and calling in his first bird for him.  We were blessed with one of those turkey morning you can only dream of hearing a TON of gobbling, 20 different birds, hen talk you name it.  We ended up leaving a bunch of gobbling birds to set up on a lonely gobbler gobbling on another ridge over.  Well, we called that bird up walking right into our setup in the hardwoods in full strut capturing it all on film and him killing it. Ended up being a really big old gobbler and a great trophy, I was probably more excited than he was. 

He has been hooked ever since. He is chomping at the bit to go out this year and has already been texting me saying we created a turkey monster with him cause he is tore up!! We are going to scout and listen on a new farm we have, hopefully be able to find a few birds for him this year.  There is nothing better than getting someone into the great sport of turkey hunting!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I've lost a lot of ground by taking other people and getting them "hooked."
The only people I take now are young kids on THEIR own land.

longbeard11

I usually will only take a newbie on one of my farms. Usually newbies dont have farms they turkey hunt anyways cause they have never been, so I will take them to my farms that I know well and have success on to get them hooked.  Then they are out on their own so to speak, unless they hunt my farms with me.  I never loose ground doing it this way. 

I love taking people every year and just showing them what turkey hunting is really all about.  Just part of the spring to me, introducing and taking people

honker22

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 03, 2014, 03:38:53 PM
I've lost a lot of ground by taking other people and getting them "hooked."
The only people I take now are young kids on THEIR own land.

Yep, I've lost a couple of my best spots this way.  These were all private tracts and they deer hunted only... tried to be nice and took them once and that was it for me turkey hunting on those spots.  Now I take a different approach.  I will not openly offer but will obviously take them if they request to go... turkeys are few and far between here and the land options are very limited.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

longbeard11

Most definitely have to protect good turkey spots, especially if its a booming farm that is one of the best.  Land and hunting spots that are private are becoming harder and harder to come by.

Spring_Woods

My old man has been bustin my ***** about taking him. Last time I took him he couldn't stay off his phone. I take it serious and sometimes it gets personal out there.
It's good that you're FIL is as serious as you are.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

hs strut

im going to take my pap in a few days when he goes on vacation  he taught me to deer hunt so im going to teach him to hunt the ol thunder chickens
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

TnRidgeRunner

I find it's a fine line between me being selfish and wanting to keep what I have and wanting to give back to the sport. This is year two of taking a new guy. I talked him into getting in on my lease for deer hunting (teaching him that too) and last year decided to show him what it felt like to have one rattle your bones. He got his first shot this year...made some trees unhappy about 2ft above ol Tom's head, but I think I've got him hooked. It'll be ok if I'm not the only one chasing the birds next year...worth it to watch a genuine smile. He missed and I couldn't slap the smile off his face. :z-twocents: