turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

QUESTION? JAKES RUNNING OFF TOM

Started by slicksbeagles1, March 31, 2014, 12:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

SUNDAY I WAS WORKING A TOM IN AN OPEN FIELD AND I WAS ON  THE WOOD FRINGE PROBABLY ABOUT 50 YDS. FROM A FENCE LINE. A GROUP OF 4 JAKES CAME UP ON MY LEFTSIDE AND CHECKED OUT MY DEKES AND THEN PROCEEDED INTO THE FIELD I COULD NOT SEE THE TOM OR JAKES AT THIS TIME THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN I SAW THE TOM HIGH TAILING IT OUT OF THE FIELD AND THE THE JAKES JUST EASYING ALONG BEHIND COULD NOT TELL WHAT SCARED THE TOM. ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE?
:newmascot:

learn2hide

like a gang of angry teenagers...yep seen it before.  jakes will go after toms when in groups...individually normally get their butts kicked
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

slicksbeagles1

THANKS I THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY SHOULD HAVE SHOT A JAKE ATLEAST I WOULD HAVE MEAT  :icon_thumright:

ChiefBubba

I had the same thing on the farm in SC. My brother had been scouting the birds for me. A 2 yr old and a couple jakes ran off the big bird we were watching. When I hunted it I couldn't find that big bird anywhere. So I killed the 2 yr old and the big bird came back and I got him the following year. Chief

goosetalk

A group of jakes is definitely a gang.  They are all big and bad together, but big wimps by themselves.  What I find interesting is how tough is the gobbler you see that has a gang of jakes with him.  Sometimes I think the old bird lets those jakes run in first to see if there is danger or not  ;D

jakesdad

More than once.Agree with goosetalk,they are like that bunch of punk kids at your school.think they are bunch of big bad a$$es all in a gang,but run like a scared little girl when its man on man(or bird on bird in this case)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Gooserbat

typical bunch of punk teenagers who individually couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Yep, strength in numbers.  Had the same thing happen a couple of times. 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

stinkpickle

Yes, I've seen that happen many times.

surehuntsalot

seen the same thing many,many times
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mudhen

Very common...

But, just as common to wait the little Jake Biebers out, they wander off, and Timid Tommy will work again...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

DirtNap647

BowBendr

Seen it many times also. Ruined a hunt or two for me several years ago.

highwaygun

I killed a gobbler 3 years ago that I watched get whopped by 4 jakes and chased away from a group of hen. He ran around in circle as they flogged him numerous times. After the shot I got to looking at him and he was beat to hell. He was missing all the feathers on one legs and most of his back. He wasnt a 2 year old either weighted 24lbs 11in beard and 1 1/4 spurs. Strength in numbers I guess.

Vabirddog

Quote from: goosetalk on March 31, 2014, 01:50:50 PM
A group of jakes is definitely a gang.  They are all big and bad together, but big wimps by themselves.  What I find interesting is how tough is the gobbler you see that has a gang of jakes with him.  Sometimes I think the old bird lets those jakes run in first to see if there is danger or not  ;D

This! agree most gobblers i have killed with a jake entourage have been very nice. I have also found that 2 (or more) Longbeards are a match for any # of jakes.