turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bird Down!

Started by AlabamaLongbeards, March 31, 2014, 08:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlabamaLongbeards

Had a friend call me last night and he wanted to go hunting this morning. Said he had a good idea where the bird was going to roost but he had trouble getting to him. I told him I would be glad to go hunt with him. We pulled in the gate and drive about 500yds from the spot he hoped he was roosted in. We walked a fire lane through some pines that were about 15ft tall. We stopped about 100yds shy of the food plot and listened for a gobble. After the first hoot the bird hammered 30yds to our right. I look up and there he is in the top of a dead oak tree. I just knew that we spooked him but that was not the case. We hit the ground and crawled back up the lane where we just came from. We circled around the bird and followed another lane that came out on the backside if the plot. There was no way we could get set up in the plot without him seeing us so we sat down on the lane that looped around the plot. We gave him a soft tree yelp and he hammered. A hen also called back and we then found out a hen was roosted directly above where we just sat down. Knowing we were in a tight until the birds flew down we just sat and waited it out. Five minutes later he flew down into the plot before his hens. We gave another soft yelp and he was on a beeline too us. We could hear him drumming about 20yds out around the bend in the road. He came around the bend and my friend put the hammer to him. Wasn't the most organized hunt but we got the job done. Nice 3yr old bird with a 9 inch beard and 1inch spurs. Feels good to get a bird down!

AlabamaLongbeards

I will try to get a picture uploaded in a bit.

captin_hook

maytom

Like to hear a plan come together!!! WTG!!

alloutdoors

JALA Strut

eddie234

Very nice. Congrats!

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

boomer

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

beagler

Never Misses

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

memert116

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

troutfisher13111

surehuntsalot

congrats on a plan that came together
it's not the harvest,it's the chase