turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dumb question re: beard growth

Started by g8rvet, March 30, 2014, 03:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

This is the third weekend of spring turkey here in Florida.  I have been seeing some jakes, they are little bad boys, gobbling and strutting like grown men. Seen the two I saw today at least 3 times (one has a unique shaped beard, always with his buddy-they were with 2 other jakes earlier in the season). This is private land. 

Anyhow, I got a really reall good look at them today (like 6 yards strutting good look) and I would swear that their beards were longer than 2 weeks ago.  Was it just my imagination trying to tell me to shoot one?  No way a beard could grow in 2 weeks is there? (like an inch!).  I think maybe they were more ruffled up the last few times and it just appeared like their beards were slightly longer.  I saw them at 15 yards opening weekend, so I got a good look both times.  Am I getting jake fever?
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

DirtNap647

might be like putting horns on a doe lol

TRKYHTR

A turkey can grow a bear 5" a year. 52 weeks in  a year so that is roughly 10 weeks per inch. So they can grow 1/5" in 2 weeks. So to answer your question, no it shouldn't be an inch longer from just 2 weeks ago. That being said a gobblers beard should be longer at the end of a season.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkey buster

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

FullChoke

Either the breast feathers were laid differently exposing more of the beard or he was holding his beard out rigid on his chest.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

contagious

Let them go,They will be more fun next year as two year olds.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

g8rvet

Oh I have. Passed on one again this morning.  I was just curious about the beard growth rate, if it was that fast in spring.  Figured it was positional and not a real length increase.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.