OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey toe

Started by Fisher62, March 30, 2014, 03:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisher62

Got one this morning and had a funky toe. Was it broken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alloutdoors

Congrats on the bird! Not sure about the toe, I was taking a youth hunter and called one in once that was missing most of his though.

cmd242

Could have been. I killed one like this before. They also get a condition called bubble foot.

DirtNap647

Shot one like that last year

slamman

congrats pretty crazy toe

COssman14

Very unique. Congrats!
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

CT Spur Collector

Killed this one in 2012, looks like he was trying to grow another toe. Crazy stuff.

the Ward

Are you guys hunting near nuclear power plants? lol!!

d.winsor

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on March 30, 2014, 04:55:54 PM

Killed this one in 2012, looks like he was trying to grow another toe. Crazy stuff.

You think it froze off !

tomstopper

Quote from: the Ward on March 30, 2014, 05:02:08 PM
Are you guys hunting near nuclear power plants? lol!!
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: I was thinking the same thing. Congrats on the birds.....

WV TURKEY THUG

now thats something else. might be bumblefoot

Gooserbat

No pics but a few years back I killed one with a bumb foot.  didn't slow him down any as I watched him bread a hen 20 minutes before I killed him.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 30, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
Congrats on the bird! Not sure about the toe, I was taking a youth hunter and called one in once that was missing most of his though.

How did this poor bugger roost!?!?  Little limbs?

beagler

Never Misses

g8rvet

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 31, 2014, 11:43:50 AM
No pics but a few years back I killed one with a bumb foot.  didn't slow him down any as I watched him bread a hen 20 minutes before I killed him.

You are a good man for letting him breed first.

I would think frostbite, bumblefoot, or simple injury. 

I did a post mortem for the State Agency where I live that had a bird die with a tracking collar as well as a wing tag. It was a hen in a county that is closed to all turkey hunting, part of a tracking study.  Found a single puncture wound entering just next to the crop. I figured an arrow with a field tip.  Necropsy showed a branch broken off about 3cm under the wound, extending all the way to the spine. At that angle, it was pretty obvious she did not see the branch at flydown and impaled herself. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.