turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wind and cold hunt question

Started by bigquacks, March 29, 2014, 10:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigquacks

Where is the best area to go during a cold, windy and a morning with spitting snow? The farm we are hunting has both woods and an open cut corn field.
Just wondering what would be the best option?

memert116

I would get into the woods and low if possible.  If the weather calms work your way to the fields.

ilbucksndux

Today was the first day of our youth season and it was cold windy and cloudy. Heard ONE gobble in 7 hours in the woods. We did call up several hens and busted a big coyote. Glad to see tomorrows forecast !
Gary Bartlow

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bigspurs68

Depending on what your terrain is like, try to get your eyes on them and go from there. They likely won't be fired up. Keep checking the edges and hope you can position yourself in their direction of travel.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Vabirddog

Think about where the wind is from and what areas are sheltered especially if there is a sheltered area of the field. Don't expect gobbles but a silent approach. The spot and stalk is good advice as well if you can spot em.  Also they will be in the most protected roost, a deep leeward hollow, in pine thicket etc and may still gobble on the roost but hearing will be difficult so get close but not in these areas early.

goosetalk

I have had luck in the past setting up on field edges where turkeys have been frequently feeding and such.  I've killed two gobblers in windy/cold weather using this strategy.  The first gobbler came in at 9am after ripping one gobble when he saw the decoys and came straight in.  I was sitting in a lower spot in the field, but not totally out of the wind.  The second bird I killed at 12:30pm after he silently came in behind me.  The only reason I knew he was there was he let out one soft cluck.  This was a high spot along a fence in a pasture fully exposed to the wind.  I was hunting out of a pop up blind.

jblackburn

They still got to eat.  They may come to the field or they may hang out in a valley out of the wind.  I believe the birds that a 6th sense about weather.  Watch the forecast, if the weather is supposed to stay crappy all day, I bet they will head to the field somewhat like normal, if it is supposed to break and get better, I have found that they either stay on the roost longer or hang out in the low spots and wait.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.