OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opening day Tennessee double!

Started by MouthCaller, March 29, 2014, 08:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

Story and pics to come but my daddy in law and I doubled up this morning at about 7:40 with one gun! No rain until we got out of the woods thank the Lord for such an awesome morning!!!

Well we get to the spot this morning right at the first sign of daylight I get close to where I want to set up owl hoot and bam two gobblers sound off right at or less than 100. I set up my hs strut jake and she mobile in breeding position and sit down on a tree with my dad in law on the same tree behind me him facing my back looking the same direction. (He doesn't turkey hunt but he wanted to tag along) I told him on the drive in if I called in two I would cut and try to get the other gobbler to stay and jump on his buddy. Well after a chorus of gobbles from every direction and probably from about 8-10 birds I could hear across the mountain. They flew down and went silent. I decide to call with nothing answering I whipped out my gobble shaker and hen call then gobble. That fired up about 6 birds to gobble at once. I did that one more time and they cut me off and was closer! I get my gun up and I see two sky blue and white heads at about 60 yards one goes full strut and man was that fun. They get to 40 and turn to my right where there is a rise between then and my decoys. They gobble just over the rise and I answered with some soft talk. They come back into view and see my decoys and I thought it's on they're gonna run in a whip my Jake but they didn't run just walked normally both in full strut on a string right in to the decoys I had enough and shot the one on my left with the huge gap someone shot out of his fan he never flopped. The second bird flew straight up into the air I start cutting while giving the gun to dad in law he landed at about 45 yards all I could see was his head and my dad in law rolled him. I was using my Mossberg 935 with Bushnell red dot ssx .670 3-1/2" #5 long beards. I had to chase him down so he wouldn't flop all the way down hill. What an awesome morning! The rain started falling as soon as we got to the truck. Thank you God for blessing us this morning.

His bird weighed in at 22 had 10-1/8" beard both spurs were 1-1/4 mine weighed 21 had a 10-3/4" beard with right spur 1-1/2" left 1-3/8".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

MAKEemQUIVER

Congrats and cant wait to hear the story!!
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

ccleroy

Tomspur

You Tennessee boys don't waste time do you? Good going.

Shellwaster

Congrats man, that's great. Way to ease the Vols loss to the refs last night

eddie234

That was fast! Congrats

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

MouthCaller

Updated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

JVA54

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WillH

JALA Strut

Congrats to you and your FIL on the double...great opener!

Rokhal07

boomer

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

datrip

Congrats on the kills. A possible reason that there is a gap in the fan is because the bird lost those feathers in an attack(not by a hunter) by a predator. A turkey's fan consist of "fear release feathers" meaning that the feathers will release in order for the bird to escape and not becoming a meal.
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007