Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Locating birds over a fresh clear-cut

Started by trippsims, March 26, 2014, 09:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippsims

The lease that I hunt was just clear cut last year, for the most part. All of the hardwoods are still left and they left all of the bottoms and sides of ridges. I could use some help from someone who has experience with this or anyone that cares to throw their two cents in. I hunted the other day and glassed for a while but I feel like the only birds I heard were roosted down in a bottom 200/300 yards, nowhere near the cutover. I know that they have to be walking the roads of the cut though, too much sign for me to think otherwise, I just don't know when. Any insight is appreciated!

g8rvet

Hunted a clear cut today and he stayed in the bottom.  Nephew had one fly out to him last year on same cut.  great place to roost one the night before though as you can see and hear them fly up from a good ways. My only advice is to do what I do when hunting that spot - get there real early so you can get your back on a tree before the sun peaks out.  They can see a long way on those cuts.  I did that last year (blind, had not roosted him) and watched him strut on the limb after daybreak from 75 yards.  He followed the hens he was roosted with and was not the least bit interested in me.  Lots of shoots and bugs in those clear cuts, so it can be a great place to strike a bird later in the morning.  If you can hunt evenings and afternoon, catch them headed back to the roost.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

trippsims

Quote from: g8rvet on March 26, 2014, 09:49:00 PM
Hunted a clear cut today and he stayed in the bottom.  Nephew had one fly out to him last year on same cut.  great place to roost one the night before though as you can see and hear them fly up from a good ways. My only advice is to do what I do when hunting that spot - get there real early so you can get your back on a tree before the sun peaks out.  They can see a long way on those cuts.  I did that last year (blind, had not roosted him) and watched him strut on the limb after daybreak from 75 yards.  He followed the hens he was roosted with and was not the least bit interested in me.  Lots of shoots and bugs in those clear cuts, so it can be a great place to strike a bird later in the morning.  If you can hunt evenings and afternoon, catch them headed back to the roost.
Thanks! I am having to re-learn their roosting areas because of the cut, but I'm sure one will mess up sooner or later.

Southernbuck01

I've had good luck with them in the clear cuts later in the morning.  Some had roosted on the edge and pitched down in it and I was able to call one to me back on the edge.  Another time I was able to glass the cut from the timber and call the 3 long beards to us in the timber maybe 100 yds.
One common theme there was that I was able to call them to the timber out of the clear cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk