OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting sticks?

Started by DranDran, March 26, 2014, 06:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DranDran

With the information I've gotten while looking around on the forum I'm down to only a few things to get ready for the season May 1st. I still have to pattern my shells (I really hate snow), talk to my uncles parents about hunting behind their house (they love me so that shouldn't be a problem) and to decide whether or not to rest the gun on my knee or to build/buy shooting sticks. Who uses what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

memert116

I've used both with success.....determining factor to me is whether I remember to throw the sticks in my vest....LOL

Redfish

I like the Primos Trigger Stick short bipod. It's a bit overpriced in my opinion but it's small, light and works great.
John 3:16

Skeeterbait

I just feel it would only get in my way and possibly cost me a bird.  I just rest it on my knee.  Now I do like the little knee pad thing you strap to your leg.

DranDran

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 26, 2014, 06:39:52 PM
I just feel it would only get in my way and possibly cost me a bird.  I just rest it on my knee.  Now I do like the little knee pad thing you strap to your leg.
Are they specifically for hunting?

Redfish

Sticks actually allow me to sit still longer than propping on my knee.
John 3:16

COssman14

Never used them because it adds something else to carry.
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

jmasters

X2 with skeeterbait on the knee pad by HS.

DranDran

Quote from: Redfish on March 26, 2014, 08:55:05 PM
Sticks actually allow me to sit still longer than propping on my knee.
That's what I was thinking. Can only prop your leg up for a little while before it either falls asleep or you have to set it down

CntrlPA

I use a small monopod on every hunt. I dont have to worry about holding up the gun in awkward positions and it doesn't affect my shooting at all.

Skeeterbait

Quote from: DranDran on March 26, 2014, 06:44:50 PM

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 26, 2014, 06:39:52 PM
Are they specifically for hunting?

This thing.

Bigspurs68

Personally, I have no use for sticks. I always end up contorted and pointing in some strange direction when they come in in these hills. On the other hand, my young girls have used them extensively. The ones they always grab are wooden crossed sticks. Easily height adjustable by spreading as far as needed. They use them as walking sticks and to poke at me with they hear things that I don't.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

WyoHunter

Quote from: COssman14 on March 26, 2014, 08:57:21 PM
Never used them because it adds something else to carry.
I feel this way too but I'll take them when I take my wife for her hunt.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Gooserbat

I've never had an issue with resting a shotgun across my knee.  The sticks are just something else to cary that will in all likelihood never be used and could just get in the way.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: jmasters on March 26, 2014, 08:58:26 PM
X2 with skeeterbait on the knee pad by HS.
x3 on this.  I consider this one of my cheapest but yet best pieces of gear I have for turkey hunting.