turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New tactic has me thinking

Started by BigMick, March 26, 2014, 04:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMick

Seems that there are a bunch of folks on this new tactic to crawl around with a strutting decoy.  Is it just me or does this seem ludicrous to anyone else.  I would venture to bet that there will be some folks killed this spring because of this.
It seems that some of the big names in the hunting industry are advocating this tactic also.

:TrainWreck1: :TrainWreck1:

I hunt private land and on most of it I have exclusive rights however with that being said I have had to ask folks to leave on more than one occasion. 

I for one will NEVER try this tactic as I personally feel like it's playing Russian roulette.

Just my .02

R AJ

Especially in states that allow rifles. Sort of like letting the wife wear the lucky buck antler hat during deer season.

I see no sport in this method of hunting turkeys but see its effectiveness. I don't even like stalking one even if I KNOW I can kill him. Just love the sport of calling them close and watching the show.

Do whatever is legal and think safety first; that's all I ask. The rest is up to the individual.

anthonyjhallen

It's looks really easy. But that is not the reason I hunt turkey's, because it easy.   It's rather upsetting because of the number of bird that will be killed by hunters with no clue what they are missing by calling one in to sniffin distance.

Gobble!

I don't plan on using it. Dangerous and I think I would spoke more eastern mountain birds than I would harvest with this technique.

ShortSpurs

Not I!

I like my skin in the condition its in right now, not covered with welts  :funnyturkey:

memert116

No thank you!  I've seen it done on some TV shows but not a fan.

Gooserbat

I probably won't be trying it but with that said I'm not condemning anyone fro trying it either.  If it's fun to you then go for it but remember there is a definite increase in danger much like base jumping.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bmhern

I'm sure that probably works, but down here in the south we have a reason not to. Its called an Eastern Diamondback,and you don't want to crawl up on him.

DirtNap647

albrubacker

Agreed!!       :OGturkeyhead:
Quote from: BigMick on March 26, 2014, 04:58:04 PM
Seems that there are a bunch of folks on this new tactic to crawl around with a strutting decoy.  Is it just me or does this seem ludicrous to anyone else.  I would venture to bet that there will be some folks killed this spring because of this.
It seems that some of the big names in the hunting industry are advocating this tactic also.

I hunt private land and on most of it I have exclusive rights however with that being said I have had to ask folks to leave on more than one occasion. 

I for one will NEVER try this tactic as I personally feel like it's playing Russian roulette.

Just my .02
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 26, 2014, 05:54:51 PM
I probably won't be trying it but with that said I'm not condemning anyone fro trying it either.  If it's fun to you then go for it but remember there is a definite increase in danger much like base jumping.
:agreed:
At the risk of being told that I am singing Cumbaya ::), I reitirate my stance that if it is legal and makes you happy, go for it!! I personally have never tried it, but if I felt it was the only way I could kill a gobbler in a certain situation, I'd do it. I know some purists won't agree, but for them I say, if you don't want to do it, don't do it!

ridgerunner

Most dangerous irresponsible ignorance I've seen endorsed on tv hunting/outdoor shows to date. I agree people will be shot..heck people getting shot turkey hunting being much safer than that..Unreal

SCGobbler

Forget it!  We have people in SC killed every year without tricks like this.  No need in speeding up the process!

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Rokhal07

Quote from: BigMick on March 26, 2014, 04:58:04 PM

Just my .02
I hope nobody gets shot but unfortunately I agree. Terrible tactic

Ctburdchasr

:anim_25:I've seen this as well, I for one will be sitting in a stationary set calling traditionally, that to me is half the fun, also dangerous, yeah I know a lot of people that have gotten shot by being in the line of their own decoys from other hunters who may or maynot have been there legally. It just seems dangerous to me to pretend to be a game animal during the season, everyone out there knows don't throw on a deer hide, tape antlers to your head and go stalking bucks it's just not safe. That being said, it is a legal tactic while I will never attempt it, if  someone chooses to I hope they are safe and I pray no one gets hurt using this tactic